Need suggestions for a lawn mower

Page 2 of 3

Popular Mechanics jes rated Honda as number 1, but at almost twice the cost of the avg mower price. I thought LawnBoy was long gone. If you can get one, it might be a good alternative if they are made by the same ppl and not a Chinese shadow of its former self. I worked for a year at a rental place and of the 3 brands of mowers we had, Lawnboys were, without a doubt, the very best. Stone axe reliable. This long before Honda, though. I admit to being a Honda fan. I had a Honda car. Best car I ever owned. Lawnboy used to be what Honda is today.
nb

Lawnboys are sold everywhere, but with cheapy 4 strokers, not the Two stroke commercial boat motor that made it famous.

Consider how old you are. If you are 60-70 years old, you don't need one to last 20-30 years.
Are you going to be living in the same place for the next 20-30 years? If not, you may want a different mower at your next place.
Do you bag now? If not, you probably don't need a bagger. Baggers to me are a pain in the ass. The need emptied too often and they are difficult to store when not in use. If you've never had one, then get one and see for yourself.
Push mowers are nothing more than a engine sitting on a metal base with a blade attached to the shaft. It isn't brain science or rocket surgery. :-)
Honda or Briggs? Either will last 20-30 years if you take care of it. Usually the deck will fall apart first. Just get a heavy duty deck.
Change oil often and clean the air filter. Don't let it sit for months without starting it to run gas thru it. Don't worry about the oil drain plug. Stick a tube down the oil filler cap and suck it out with a syringe or something equivilant. This way is faster and cleaner.
Hank
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 05:02:57 -0800 (PST), "Hustlin' Hank"

My Honda ($590) mower lasted 3 years with numerous repairs. The deck simply fell apart. The Toro I have now ($275) is going strong the last 10 years. I doubt any mower made today will last 30 years, they dont make em like they used to.

I had a Honda Harmony, bought about 10 years ago. I have a lawn that isn't that large, about 10,000 sq ft. It lasted about 7 years. Got it at HD in the Fall when it was deeply discounted. They use a dual mulching blade design, with one blade about 1/2" above the other and different shapes. As far as the cut, it left the smoothest, nicest looking finish and also did the best job of turning the grass into fine mulch of any mower I've had. The downside is the tranny went bust at about 7 years, which considering the cost of the thing, seems early. Essentially the pully bearing that the belt connects to wore out and failed. The replacement part would cost $135. The other factor was to remove/replace it required taking apart a zillion little pieces and widgets. I'm good at fixing things, but even with the service manual getting all that stuff back together seemed to entail some risk of it not working.
So, I bought a new Craftsman on Ebay from a local guy for $170. It definitely doesn't do as nice a job cutting as the Honda. On the other hand, the engine has more power and it can handle longer grass or slightly wet grass notieceably better than the Honda. The Honda is still in the garage. I look on Ebay occasionally hoping to find a tranny at a good price. Maybe I should just part it out instead.
-snip-

I'm surprised 2 folks in a row had less than stellar results with their Hondas. My neighbor fixes mowers for a living. I asked him to keep an eye out for $100 trade in 5-6 years ago. He brought me a used Honda Harmony. Was probably 5 yrs old when I got it.
I have abused hell out of it. It has spent a couple winters under snowbanks. Runs like a charm. The drive train is tricky- and needs to have 2 cables adjusted perfectly and clean grease in the wheels.

A beast to take apart. Neighbor brought me a 'parts mower' which I tore down for 'fun'.

I'd be tempted to just take off all that dead weight & drag & make a pusher out of it. That is their downside-- as a push only mower the Harmony sucks.
Neighbor has one he put big wheels on & really is a dream to mow with.
Jim

My Toro personal pace with an aluminum deck still looks and runs like new after about 10 years. Usually starts on the first pull, even after sitting all winter. Every once in awhile, I push the primer twice instead of three times, and then it takes two pulls to start.
The personal pace system is very effective. You don't push the mower and it doesn't pull you.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I'll second that!
My 10 year-old Toro Super Recycler with personal pace and aluminum deck is still going strong. The personal pace feature makes mowing a lawn with numerous plantings and such very easy -- not the problem older-style self-propelled mowers have.
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:45:43 -0600, Peabody

    I like your thinking. It shows good logical planing.
    I will say that TroyBuilt is no more. They sold the name to MTD as I recall, who at once cheapened the line. TroyBuilt was my favorte gasoline powered machine.
    I have a Black and Decker Battery powered push mower. I suspect it might not be what you want (it is a little heaver than a like powered gasoline mode.) I have had it clost to ten years if I remember correctly. I had a corded electric some time before that and a true Troybuit inbetween.
    All three were good and depending on my lawn needs I would be happy to chose any one of them again. Right now, I think I woudl go back to the lighter weight corded model.
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:05:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Which would be absolutely no good on my large corner lot. And the B&D cordless I had ate batteries for lunch. First set failed just out of warranty (and I've seen a few fail WITHIN warranty) - and then the expensive replacements were good for less than 3 years - and I needed to mow half the yard at a time, with an overnight recharge in between.
My current lawnmower is a 30+ year old "pro" big-wheel 25 incher built in Schreveport La with a 4 HP Briggs engine on it. Keeps going, and going, and going. 20" BMX bike tires on the back. Friction drive (rollers). It is a tube frame unit, with flat sheet metal deck that rusted through a few years back, and I replaced it with stainless steel.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Pictures please!

Putting them up on on-the-net.ca.
www.on-the-net.ca/mower.htm
On 03/06/10 06:45 pm, Peabody wrote:

Sheep work well.
Perce
Peabody wrote:

The heck with Consumer Reports recommendations. Get one of these http://tinyurl.com/56u8lc Your neighbors need something to talk about.
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:17:23 -0600, Dean Hoffman

git-r-done
That thing looks like an A-10 Warthog :-/
Thanks very much for all the responses.
At this point, to get my old 2-cycle Lawn-Boy working I would need a new gas tank and a new carb. Also, the spark plug will no longer tighten. I'm not sure how that happened, but something felt funny when I removed the plug to clean it, and now it won't tighten. I don't know how I could have stripped it while removing it, but I guess I did.
So, I think to fix all that would cost more than a new mower, and you know, it is 30 years old. I think it's time to retire it.
I've got one area that's very close to my pool, and I've learned the hard way that things just work better if I bag in that area. It's actually less trouble doing that than dealing with all the unbagged stuff the wind blows into the pool. So that's why I need a bagger.
Well, based on the comments I think I should look at Toro's, and perhaps look at what Sears and WM have to offer, just in case. I would expect Hondas to be wonderful, but keep hearing the opposite from a number of people here locally.
And I'm gonna stick with a push mower. Self-propelled is just something else that'll break. I don't know if they make 2-cycles anymore (Sears maybe?) but I would certainly look at one of those.
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 21:08:52 -0600, Peabody

2 strokes are virtually history since Tecumseh shut down. Lawn Boy stopped making them, I believe, a couple years ago when the California market, as well as a couple others, was closed to 2 stroke power plants. They ARE great for lots with steep grades.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Are they good for steep grades because different angles of the crankcase won't starve it for oil? I suppose also because they are lighter.

Right the first time. Second is alst generally true, but the first is the important one.
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 23:24:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There are many 4-stroke lawnmowers now that have oil pumps with a well designed pickup, and are not oil starved when at a steep angle.