Need special hinges

Page 1 of 2

Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.
Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door trim. (There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room (~1") between the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough room for the door to swing with a regular hinge.
The contractor who did most of the other work on this project told me to look for special hinges that would move the door laterally before swinging it to clear this obstruction. So far, I've had no luck trying to locate it calling around locally. I even called Rockler and asked them. Closest thing they have are "flipper" hinges, but those won't work here.
Anyone know of such hinges? I'm guessing they would be articulated to slide the door sideways first before swinging.
Any help much appreciated to get this project finished.

- a Usenet "apology"

Found here...: http://www.woodworking-heaven.flowerpotheaven.com/special-hinges.shtml

More precisely here:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "155

On 1/8/2010 5:59 PM Jim spake thus:

Well, you da man. Or at least my first reaction was "you da man!" when I saw that page. At least until I saw the price for the hinges that might work (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "155):
$150 a set! No frigging way.
But you still the man for finding that so fast. What I wonder is why the guy I talked to--*at Rockler*--said they didn't have any hinges that would solve my problem. I explained the situation clearly.
So now I'm scratching my head, doodling and wondering whether a multi-leaf hinge (like this: http://www.marlborohinge.com/multileafhinges.asp ) might work.

- a Usenet "apology"

A sketch/top view of the problem would help, I can't visualize what the problem is.
On 1/8/2010 6:37 PM hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

Well, since folks seem to take such a dislike to my posting SMALL PICTURES here, let me try to explain:
Cabinet is installed against a wall. Directly in front of the cabinet front is a piece of door trim nailed to the wall. There's about an inch between the edge of the door trim and the front of the cabinet. Just enough room to mount a door on the front of the cabinet (door on front of the cabinet, not flush with frame), but not enough room for the door to swing open without hitting the door trim. Got it?

- a Usenet "apology"
I don't think a hinge will solve this. You need a narrower cabinet to move the door away from the trim so it can open. Then you need a filler to fill the space between the cabinet and the wall.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Could you...
1. rip off an inch or so from the door edge
2. afix offcut to cabinet
3. hinge remainder of door to offcut
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yes. If all else fails, that will probably be Plan B. (Would amend your step 3 to "hinge remainder of door to cabinet", though.)

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Are these real wood, or (like most Ikea stuff) melamine-covered chipboard, with some sort of edge trim? If the latter, you will have trouble reworking the door. Can you post a pointer to the cabinet on the Ikea site, so we can see what it looks like? Does Ikea sell narrower replacement doors and filler panels of any sort?
(looks at Ikea site, kitchen section)
Doesn't look promising. Most of the stuff is chipboard, and not much apparent choice in widths. (Unless maybe the door you have is wide, and you can buy a narrower one, and cut one edge off existing door, so you can shove cut edge against wall so only a factory edge shows. You'd need to add a hardwood rail vertically in cabinet to mount the hinges to, and to catch the edge of the cut-down door used as filler panel.)
I'd be tempted to take the casing off that side of the door opening, and flush it in somehow. How many doors in the room? Changing all the visible door casings might be less labor than modifying the cabinet, if there is absolutely no way to fine-tune reality and slide the whole wall of cabinets down an inch or two. Otherwise, just screw that door shut, and live with reaching around in that corner cabinet. Or add blocks in the cabinet carcass, and mount the door with velcro tape or magnets, so you can yank it off for those once-a-year pots and pans.
-- aem sends, seeing why people diss Ikea....
On 1/9/2010 2:53 PM aemeijers spake thus:

The cabinets are all laminate-covered particle board, but the doors are solid wood. And no, they only have doors that match the widths of their cabinets (12", 15", etc.). I'm about to rip a piece off the door, which should solve the problem nicely. Will have to dig out the cavity for the hinge a little bit on the cut-off piece, so the hinge doesn't grab that part of the door. The hinge pivot seems to be just far enough in from the edge of the cabinet that this kluge should work. (I may have to trim the door some more, but not much, I hope.)

Ackshooly, none of this is in any way indicative of faults or shortcomings on the part of Ikea cabinets. They're actually quite appropriate to this situation (an inexpensive remodel of a garage into a living space). I'm going to write a review here on the subject any day now.

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, since usenet is text-only protocol, most won't see 'em anyway...

As others said, what you really needed was to have used a 2" narrower cabinet w/ a filler strip (and for most satisfactory results in the long run probably should still consider that option--or the probably not-so-good modify the current cabinet/door).
I don't have a link for a less-expensive hinge, but you might try Woodworkers' Hardware (MN). Don't recall if url is www.woodworkershardware.com or some variant but a google would undoubtedly find it. They've the largest selection of stuff I'm aware of outside the very high priced spread such as previously found.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Maybe their offset hinge... http://www.marlborohinge.com/customoffsetshinges.asp
--

dadiOH
____________________________

On 1/8/2010 7:16 PM Cliff Hartle spake thus:

Because the door trim would hit the edge of the door and prevent it from opening.

Cabinets are from Ikea. What we got is what we got.
Obviously, if they were custom cabinets they (homeowner and contractor who did most of the work) would have come up with another design. As it was, two base cabinets and an all-in-one compact kitchen unit filled the space exactly.

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

My recommendation if the door style allows it, is to cut a 1" strip off the hinge side of the door, permanently affix that to the base cabinet, and re-hinge the door that 1" over. Not as elegant as some $150 exotic hinges, but simple and effective and if done with concealed back mount hinges probably not very noticeable.
Also those hinges don't look like they will work. I don't think you have enough room for the door to move "out" before it slides. It looks like you need about 2.5" of clearance before it starts to slide to side.

Found the specs, you need about 10"
http://www.sugatsune.com/180PDF/LIN-X_flyer_May09.pdf

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hinge at the top (or bottom, depending on the cabinet), like an overhead bin?
David Nebenzahl wrote:

If there is another cabinet door right next to it, you may be able to turn the two cabinet doors into a bi-fold door with folding door hinges connecting them in the middle.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "89
You would need to be sure that the other set of hinges was able to handle the additional weight of a bi-fold door.
--Betsy