Need something to KILL hedge plants...

Page 1 of 2
About 18 years ago, my then-neighbor planted hedge plants down the property line between his house and mine. I BEGGED him not to, because the guy behind me in my last house had done the same think and then neglegted them... they grew to be huge and hung over my fende.
You got it... he planted them anyway, and they grew, and Grew and GREW. Of course, he moved away, and doesn't care anymore. My current neighbor eventually had them all cut down. Cost a bundle, AND he didn't have roots removed... just chopped off at the top of the ground. Now, of course, these dumb plants keep springing back up. I have his permission to keep them chopped off (it's on the other side of my fence, and not easy to get to), but I'd like to put some chemical on the stumps (some are 10 inches across !!!) to kill keep the new growth from coming back. Is there anything out there that will do that? Before you suggest it, digging up these stumps is NOT an option. They've taken over the whole place underground - would need a backhoe to do that.
Roundup or a stronger version-type on leaves will kill the plant. You need to spray only growing leaves. Copper sulfate mixed in water poured on the roots may or may not have an effect. If leaves are pine needles with heavy wax then roundup won`t work.
Roundup comes to mind. Also gasoline (doesn't have to be lit, it poisons the soil). Might be a good question to ask at the farm and garden center.
I had a sawed off willow tree behind my place one time, adn it kept shooting up.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

next year and find oil at the other end of the yard, or coming up with your well water.

Roundup works great. You just need to chase the sprouts, spray or paint them all with Roundup. The roots may even sprout, but be persistent. I haven't found anything that Roundup won't kill.
Cutting them down to the ground was the right thing to do. Spray once per month when they have two or three fully formed new leaves. Three times will probably do the job because a plant can't live without leaves.
Depends how much you use. 100 galons will be a problem, a spritzer bottle isn't enough.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I wish people here would stop suggesting dumping petroleum products on the ground for this or that problem;it's against the law in most places(if not all,perhaps a Federal violation?),and it contaminates the soil and water tables.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik wrote:

Awww, go hug a tree.
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!

Hey,you with no name;in many areas,clean water is becoming a real problem. It's just common sense to not pollute it. I suspect you'd be one of the first to bitch if some company did it to your neighborhood.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik wrote:

(uhhh, see below!)

Most "neighborhoods" get their water from a treatment plant, and folks who don't deal with little problems like having their septic tank sitting way-y-y-y-y over on the other side of their lot, away from their wells.
We're not talking wholesale destruction here by "some company", we're talking one guy pouring a couple gallons of gas over a line of hedge stumps.
If he -really- wants it to work he'll switch to kerosine and saturate the stumps over the course of a week, then set them on fire. But then you have that air pollution thing that you treehuggers would be yelling about.
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!

Contaminating water tables only takes a very small amount of petro product. The stuff migrates.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

You don't know much about pollution, do you? Petroleum products are persistent and permeate soil for years and leach into groundwater systems, such as aquifers. A neighbor once dug a hole in a strip of land that we shared and poured his used motor oil in it. I asked him not to do it, but he continued so I reported him to the city and he ended up spending more than a $1500 to have the contaminated soil removed by a hazmat company and then paid fines. There's a reason not to pollute when you don't have to.
Smart Liberal Treehugger wrote:

Let me guess, treehugger, you -- being a typical professional student, over-educated, multi-degreed liberal -- know it all?

Ohhkehy. (meaningless "I know a guy" story follows...)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are you done yet?
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!
Steve Henderson wrote:

Some people (including me) have had good luck with copper nails.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I had REALLY good luck with zinc coated roofing nails on palm trees and bamboo. __________________________ Totus Tuus Claudia Satori

Drill several holes into the top of the stumps and pour a 6 OZ/Gal Roundup solution into the holes. Repeat until they stop sprouting

ted

I have been using a Greenlight brand "Cut Vine And Stump Killer" product, that seems to be most wonderful at it's job.I have never seen another product do sucha good job at killing weeds or stumps!
Try this link: http://lawn-and-garden.aubuchonhardware.com/pest_control_and_fertilizers/pesticides_and_herbicides/cut_vine_and_stump_killer-704670.asp
It's very in-expensive also.
I bought the house I'm in now and immediately cut down some 32 or so red Tipped fotinias<sp> and hate the damn things they were unkept and grown into chain link fence and tore all down and put up a new privacy fence. It also had 3 very good sized Crepe Myrtle growths in tree fashion, near the driveway..............another No-No. Dead..............all 3 of 'em. Those things are like weeds, and very much harder to get rid of. this stuff did the trick quickly and without a big mess. Just don't get this stuff on anything you want to live. Apply with little or no wind.
Good Luck
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB
Steve Henderson wrote:

You need a herbicide called "triclopyr", which is painted on the fresh-cut stumps. The trade name for it is "Garlon" or "Crossbow", but the same chemical is in Brush-B-Gon.
Do a google search on "buckthorn, garlon" (without the quotes) for details.
Bob
You can also use Triox, which kill all vegetation and prevents anything new from germinating for up to a year.
<< I'd like to put some chemical on the stumps (some are 10 inches across !!!) to kill keep the new growth from coming back. >>
Lots of effective vegetation killers can be found, but must be applied around the the top perimeter of the stump or on new shoots or leaves. No chemical will soak through the wood , so getting ithe stuff to the actively growing parts is the key, namely the cambium layer at the edges. HTH
Joe