Need Solvent to Clean Electrical Stains

Does anyone know a good solvent to clean electrical stains? Apparently I have some leaky outlets in my home, because there are electrical stains below them. I suppose I will have to replace those outlets.
Gerald
Mr. Antimatter, from S.C. Johnson (formerly Johnson Wax). Hard to find in supermarkets, but I've seen it at Ace hardware stores.

Doc Emmett Brown's Flux Capacitor Magic........
--

SVL

No, you need to replace the wall paper or wall paint with a special kind labeled "electrical stain resistant." It can be found in your nearest LowDepo store or elsewhere. --Phil
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Windex and be sure to get it deep into the outlets soak it heavily, if it sparks thas ok its the cleaner cleaning. Stick a key in the socket to be sure it works afterwards wet 120 wont shock
There is no such thing as an electrical stain. Whatever you are seeing must come from another source. You must figure out what it really is before you can fix it.
The advice you got is not only wrong, but downright dangerous. I think they are making fun of you because you are a novice. Well, we were all novices at first, so don't let it bother you.
No Toller is was cousin Troller.
If you have black or dark brown marks around the plugs of your outlet receptacle(s), you might indeed have signs of electrical arcing. This could be a life-threatening situation. Your house could also burn down.
If you feel condident, you should shut off the circuit breaker or fuse to the outlet(s) in question. Then test them with a $10.00 plug tester (or radio or lamp) to make sure you got the right fuse. Remove the outlet from the electrical box and check for other signs of arcing or damage (check the wires and screws for blackening or burnt insulation).
If you are not sure if the "stains" are from electrical arcing, you could try and clean the outlet --WITH FUSE REMOVED OR BREAKER 'OFF'--and if the stain does not clean up, then it likely IS from electrical arcing. Try soap and water, try varsol/ mineral spirit/ turpentine, try a dry cleaner fluid like Goof Off, try WD40.
If the "stain" truly is from electricity arcing, you should replace the outlet. This will cost you $5.00 at the hardware store, if you are able to do it yourself.
check out these websites: http://www.electrical-online.com/howtoarticles/HowToIntro.htm http://doityourself.com/electric/index.htm
The public library usually has good reference books as well.
If you do not feel confident, call a licenced electrician--electricity can kill you. A bad wiring job can burn down your house.
Mr. Fixit eh