Need replacement plug for heater blower relay

I need a replacement plug for the heater blower relay in my 95 Chevy pickup truck. Everytime I turned on that blower motor lately, I have been smelling a hot sweet smell of something overheated. Shutting off the blower stopped the smell.

The blower motor and associated wiring in these mid 90's trucks are notorious for electrical failures and even some fires. A year ago, my blower stopped working, and I found a plug was melted. I removed it, and soldered the wires together. (That plug was undersized when manufactured, and is the #1 cause of fires). I eliminated it!

Today I ripped the dashboard apart again, and traced the wires. Nothing was burned that I could see. After having a bucket of water handy in case of fire, I left all the wiring exposed and let that blower run. Soon I smelled the hot odor and began sniffing around. The odor was around that same wiring area, and near the blower motor, but the blower itself was not hot, nor was it's feed wire.I left it run longer and the odor got stronger. Eventually I noticed a little smoke, and then the blower stopped. I reached down there and almost burned my hand on the heater relay and one of the wires behind it.

I unplugged the relay, and found one of the five contacts was burned and the plastic around it on both the relay and the plug melted. That exact same sweet smoky odor was very strong on that relay.

The local auto parts stores have the relay. But none of them have the plug. I suppose I could order the whole wiring harness from a Chevy dealer for a huge price, but that's not gonna happen.

We have no auto salvage yards around here. Where can I get a plug?

This is the exact relay: (photo included)

No, I cant use those 1/4" crimp on terminals, these terminals are roughly 1/8".

Reply to
Paintedcow

Repair pigtails for just about anything.

Reply to
clare

Wow, I never knew there was a company that made repair plugs. This is not the first time I needed something like this, but this is more critical than most of the others I needed, like for tail lights....

Thanks for the URL.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I might need to get some of the websites and/or phone numbers for them. I emailed the place URL above, last night, and never got a reply. I may be a little impatient. but I figure that a business shoud reply on the next full business day, and that was today. They have no listed phone number on their website, and only have one of those "fill out a form" emails. With those, I never know if they get it or not. At least with my own wmail software I can confirm it was sent.

No auto parts stores have it (nearby) and one from a big city which is 2 hours away, could not comprehend what I wanted, and after I told the droid that it was mounted on top of the heater box (SIX TIMES), he insisted I was wrong and it's part of my fuse box. (I hung up).

I have now spent close to 15 hours trying to locate this damn plug and still am nowhere. (Except the Chevy dealer told me they could *MAYBE* have one custom made for $60 to $110 dollars). NO THANKS!

Reply to
Paintedcow

There are quite a few companies that make repair plugs. Auto mechanics like myself have been sourcing and using them for several decades to repair colision damaged harnesses as well ad corrosion damage etc.

Reply to
clare

If it was my vehicle, I would use a heavy-duty on-off switch with wires sol dered at the switch and at the place where the relay was formerly located. Put the switch as close as possible to the heater but where you can still reach it to turn the heater on and off. Use good heavy wire and test it fo r several minutes before putting the switch in its final location.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A 30 or 50 amp switch..

I'd be a whole lot more likely to use a generic relay with a readilly available (industrial?) socket.if I could not source the correct socket. Preserve the function when possible - and it is almost always possible.

Reply to
clare

+1 He has a lot of stuff burning up... I would check the draw on these because that hot isn't normal.
Reply to
Tekkie®