Need paint?

Use caution. And safety goggles.
"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jun/15/man-burned-opening-paint-can-drill/

Sure wish they had said *why*.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Propellant is usually propane, ether or butane. All very flammable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant
--Winston

You answered the wrong "why".
Why did he drill through the can?

You answered the wrong "why".
Why did he drill through the can?
-- duh. to get the paint out.

I thought that was what the button on the top was for.
Man, I gotta start reading the instructions.
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:44:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Maybe the guy just wanted the "marble" inside?
"Oren" wrote:

If I had a nickle for every finger I cut up trying to get those "free" marbles....
Jon
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Unless he was huffing, probably had a clogged valve or dip tube, and he thought the can had just lost its pressure, and was trying to salvage the paint to apply with a brush. I know I get pissed when a can of whatever goes flat, but still has most of the product trapped inside.
-- aem sends...
Why did the chicken cross the road? To paint something.
I did try to depressurize a spray can of paint, one time. Can with a clogged nozzle. Figured I could always brush it on. Well, the paint and propellant mix foamed all over the place, and it was a considerable mess to clean up. I won't do that, again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jun/15/man-burned-opening-paint-can-drill /
*I seem to recall Stormin Norman doing the same thing a while back. He didn't get burned; just got painted blue. Maybe he'll repost the link as it was a very funny story.
I don't know how many languages they need to publish "Do not puncture or incinerate" on every can.
I think I remember it being white. I'd have to search Google archives, I don't have a copy of that on my drive. I don't think.
They didn't publish it in Norman language, so I didn't mind the caution.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We used to open the cans AFTER the pressure was released to get the marble. An old hand-crank can opener makes it easy, plus no sparks.
Phisherman wrote:

Trouble is, you can't always tell for sure if the pressure is released. Sometimes the valve is just gummed up. I had an ancient can of foaming engine cleanser self-detonate on my once, rotted out from inside, just sitting in a milk crate on shelf over the washer. Lived in an apartment at the time- no freeze-proof outside storage. Made a hell of a mess. I hadn't touched the can in a couple of years. Split right down the side seam. Like right now, I was sitting at the computer hanging out on usenet, instead of doing anything productive. Scared the crap out of me.
-- aem sends...
-snip-

That's what pellet guns are for.<g> Last week I stopped myself from tossing one of those brand-new-but-dead Great Stuff cans.
'Let's see if it is really depressurized, or if it is a nozzle problem.' He says to himself
I *almost* set up a video cam a few feet away. Glad I didn't.
That sucker spun around for 30 seconds or so and managed to spray foam in a 10foot radius! Next time I'll set up a cam- in a plastic bag.
For paint cans I usually just put them in a cardboard box to contain the paint.
Jim

He was probably trying to get high-higher, off the fumes. I heard of someone drilling a gas tank to steal gasolene, I dont know if he lived.