Need Newsgroup recommendation

I am middle-aged, have a 20 year old bachelor's degree in computer science. I can buy and load software and set up hardware when instructions are sold with the product, but computers and electronics do not excite me as a hobby and I am NOT a professional in the field. I simply want to converse on occasion with others who are family oriented to make my, my wife's and children's use of my home computer the easiest and most practical. Over time I would also like to learn more about DVD recorders in order to keepsake some of our >15 year old VHS home movies as well as some of our favorite purchased VHS movies, as well as recording a show which my wife likes to watch daily but often is not home at the right time and frequently gets too busy to watch for several days in a row. Thanks in advance for being pointed to a practical newsgroup for this purpose where folks are interested in sharing and will talk at my level without making fun of me.

Respectfully, Andy

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Gal

[...]

Try this one Annexcafe.General.user2user

Reply to
lindy

Go do a search of the newsgroups available using your needs as search words

Reply to
edee em

[...]

Got to this site for a list of news groups. Not many news groups are "family oriented" and there are always spamers with filthy mouths (fingers).

George E. Cawthon

I would go to pc mag or zd net to check out the recommendations as to hardware and software. PCMag has a forum.

Here are some links:

norminn

alt.test for one.

I do not have a degree but I have been studying computers for 20 years also. Heck I'm not even allowed to prosper in the police states of christiandom. If you want family oriented group stay away from the alt.groups(alternative)

try getting a FAQ on each group you are interested in and lurk it a while.

Google people seem to be pretty cool. I heard they have the Grateful Deads chef making all their food. The hemp burgers must be awesome. Do a google search and type something like; DVD recording vhs time delay

Death to christian warriors

Reply to
Yawnkin Bhuorpnwiz

[...]

Hi there, Andy.

There are many newsgroups you could try, and I'd recommend more than one. A good way to get your feet wet is go to

Groups), and do searches on topics of interest. The hits will all be in newsgroups. Register at Google Groups and you can post there or use your regular newsgroup reader. Subscribe to newsgroups you want to frequent.

There are also other Internet places for help, forums. My favorites are Anandtech Forums and AVS Forums:

(register there) Mostly computer related forums.

Audio and Video forums, Home Theater, etc. Register also to participate.

Here are some newsgroups that should/may be of interest:

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (I think this one would be especially useful to you)

alt.video.dvd

alt.video.dvd.tech

alt.comp.periphs

alt.comp.periphs.cdr