Need New Vacuum - Recommend?

Page 2 of 2

Yes. They were sold door-to-door (remember that?). The price was whatever the salesman could wrest from the mark's wallet. I've heard of Kirby's w/ attachments selling as high as $1700! Same with encyclopedias, cookware, and knife salesmen (Cutco).

Yep. Many used vacuum cleaner shops are built around a Kirby servicing license. Kirby's will easily go --and have-- for half a century with only a few bucks fer parts, to keep 'em flying. Mainly cuz they're built --and weigh!-- like tanks. I think Oreck built their rep on being the antithesis of Kirby. IOW, very light in weight (8 lb). They certainly don't pick up any better than a Kirby.
nb
On 11/23/2014 11:49 AM, notbob wrote:

A Kirby is very good, but even at $1000 it would be too much money.
A used one would probably be a good deal though.
The latest thing in commercial vaccuum cleaners is called a "Back Pack Vac", which is a vaccuum cleaner you wear on your back very much like a back pack. These are good for hard floors, but they're not great on carpets because they don't have an agitating brush. You need that agitation to remove solid dirt from carpets like sand, skin cells and pollen that falls into the carpet pile.
They're expensive, but they're powerful and quiet, and they eliminate the problems associated with having an upright and not being able to vaccuum up elevated surfaces (like tables and workbenches), or having a canister vaccuum cleaner and having to pull it around furniture with you everywhere. Back pack vaccuum cleaners go everywhere, and you just need to bother with the cord, but they're very versatile, which makes them popular amongst people who clean for a living.
'Backpack Vacuums - Vacuums -?The Home Depot' (http://tinyurl.com/lrxse84 )
Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of buying a mini-carpet shampoo'er like those sold by Bissell or Hoover or Eureka, thinking it'll get your carpet cleaner than a regular vaccuum cleaner. Carpet shampoo'ers are meant for removing wet or dried up liquid spills on carpets, not solid soils like sand and skin cells and pollen. The problem is that once you get the carpet wet, the surface tension of the water will make it much harder to remove the dirt sticking to the carpet. Next time you're at the beach, try cleaning sand off of wet feet and dry feet and see which one works better. So, if you want something to clean dry solid dirt out of a carpet, stick with a vaccuum cleaner with powerful suction and an agitating brush.
--
nestork

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:13:12 -0500, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
.

Agreed. We have one of the Dyson ball ones and a handheld. I wouldn't go back to the heavier ones. So far they're reliable and convenient.
Thane
As we are also two retirees with a Yorkie, I like your reply. Happy Holidays. John

I think Hoover is still most for the buck. I got an Empower still working. Brother loves Kirby. I got an old Kirby converted to replaceable bag. I just saw a complete set of Kirby for free. Would been nice to have the attachments. Got Electrolux models tucked away too.
Greg
snipped-for-privacy@cal.com writes:

I installed[*] a central (Nutone) system back in 1992 and have never regretted it.
[*] in a house built in 1970.
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:27:45 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@cal.com wrote:

I personally have an old Filter Queen which is a great vacuum but their pri ces are ludicrous and their sales structure is a cross between old school d oor to door hard sell and MLM. Not a fan. If you can find one used and re asonably priced however as I did they are great units.
Dyson is good for a more modern, available at normal retail outlets type va cuum.
Old Kirbys are bulletproof but again IMHO they are overpriced and have an u nattractive sales network. The new ones seem to be overfeatured, overgadge tized, and as a result are silly heavy for no good reason.
nate
We had a Bosch overseas, it was awesome. I'd have brought it back but it needed 220 V.
On 11/24/2014 8:25 AM, N8N wrote:

recommend you not buy one at Sears if you ever want it fixed. Overheard a conversation yesterday at Sears. You send it in. They give you an estimate to fix it. You accept or deny the repair. You pay $50 shipping, whether you fix it or not. No, there's no other way to get an estimate.
I've been happy with Hoover uprights.
Per mike:

Looks to me like Sears is on the way out, period.
Seems to me like their paradigm is broken: big box stores, online shopping, and so-forth.
I've watched the one around here (King of Prussia, PA... a beeeeg shopping mall) slowly shrivel up over the years recently when it just closed the doors.
And, of course, I just *had* to go and buy a Sears vacuum last year... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/24/2014 7:45 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I've avoided Sears for a long time now.
They missed the Internet boat. The catalog should have been the transition to to make them the Amazon of the 1980s.
On 11/23/2014 7:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@cal.com wrote:

I have a Shark (Rotator Pro model) and am happy with it. All the filters are washable and there are no bags to bother with. Its great if you have steps to vacuum as the motor unit lifts off to carry with you. That feature is also handy for cleaning up cobwebs off ceilings and walls. Spiders seem to like our house for some reason?
The Pro model comes with a hard floor attachment that works much better than any rotating brush model I have ever used on bare floors. Brushes just shoot the debris out before it gets vacuumed, and with the brush turned off the vacuum is too far above the floor to pick up well. The hard floor attachment seals itself against the floor and gets everything.
The only drawback (like many other models) is the upholstery brush is air powered. It works but isn't anywhere near as good as one that has its own motor as it tends to stall when you apply pressure to help get up tougher than normal stuff.
The price is about 1/2 what Dyson wants and its more versatile than a Dyson.
We have three cats and it picks up pet dander really well.
John
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 07:27:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@cal.com wrote:

I got a Shark Rotator about a year ago. It seems to work as advertised, not real noisy and picks up well, but... the hose is an odd diameter and attachements from other vacuums, and even other Shark models, don't fit. The hose is short, stiff, and so tightly sprung that it's a serious irritation. I'd say if you go for a Shark, get the model with the longer hose.
--
croy

OK
Thanks