Need New sink recommendation

I'm remodeling my kitchen and have been looking at sinks. We have zeroed in on the Acrylic and Cast Iron models. The acrylic sinks look nice and seem to be quiet, what are the pros and cons of each? We now have a cast iron sink that's 40 years old, had no problems, don't to but new problems. Thanks.

Reply to
PM

all depends on the application (drop in, farmers sink or undermount) also what are the countertops going to be?

Reply to
Genemy

The sink will be a drop in, in a Formica countertop. Don't know what you mean by "farmers sink"?

Reply to
PM

porcelain will not stain like acylic will... especially from tomatoe sauce.

a farmers sink is an "apron" sink check

search for "apron sink" to see what I am talking about.

Reply to
Genemy

No apron sink. So porcelain is the best for all around use?

Reply to
PM

absolutely is the best all around sink.

Reply to
Genemy

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
PM

I agree with that ----- now what is the difference or the pros and cons of porcelain on steel vs cast iron?

(Other than similar sinks costing $190 for American Standard Enameled steel or $472.50 for Kohler cast iron?

Reply to
avoidspam

We have an Americast sink and would not make the same mistake again. It is far too difficult to keep clean.

Reply to
Alan

Cast is still king, for durabillity & longevity, followed by stainless.These are good choices for "chefs" kitchen.You can go to various plastics for light use or designer looks.

Another tip - try to get a tile in, surface or flush mount.Avoid a drop-in if possible .Its a lot easier to clean up.

Reply to
twiedeman

No one has mentioned Quartz composite sinks. These can be simple white or colors or "designer" stone looks. 80% Quartz crystals and 20% acrylic resin. These sinks look great and are hard as stone. They withstand any houshold cleaner (including Comet & Ajax) and you won't stain it with tomato sauce or red wine.

Quarts composite sinks are far superior to scratch resistance and stains than any other composite surface (including the designer solid surface sinks built into various makers solid surface counter tops).

These sinks have the thickness of a cast iron sink, excellent sound damping and superior heat retention.

Quartz composite sinks should not be confused with solid surface composit materials or acrylic sinks. They allow for the designer looks of solid surface composites with the wear and performance of cast iron.

Simply, the best of both worlds.

J.P.

Reply to
TinMan1332