Need new Radar Detector recommendations

Page 4 of 4
On 08/08/2016 11:32 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Here is Nevada, if they think you are going too slow, they will ride your ass. You can tell by the way they approach you from behind. I pull over a lot. I sill get the ticket and they don't. Maybe I am easier to catch.
On 08/08/2016 05:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

I just set the cruise control a tad lower than the limit (and pull over a lot). But the cruise control don't help with the trickery
On 8/8/2016 12:51 AM, T wrote:

IF I ever have to get on the highway, I get in the slow lane, which isn't always the one to the far right, and let the traffic go speed past me on either lane. Some people are nuts, though, and just tailgate you so you'll move and they can be one car ahead in your lane despite all other lanes being open for them to go around. IF you don't move when they want you to, sometimes, they even dart around you and nearly hit you. People get nuts behind the wheel!
--
Maggie

Per Muggles:

The road I drive to get down to the shore has a speed limit of 65.
On occasions when I am carrying a 20' surf ski on the roof racks, I actually set the cruise control to 65 and keep it there.
Last time I counted, I passed two vehicles: a clapped-out maxi-van doing about 50 in the left lane, and a cab-over duce-and-a-half that was getting blown around by the crosswinds.
Number of vehicles that passed me: 138..... and none of them slowly.
I think there is actually a safety consideration in going the speed limit on that road in that some people whip around you and then dive back into the lane - coming way too close..... if one of those catches my front bumper/fender, I can see trouble...
--
Pete Cresswell

On 8/8/2016 1:38 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Have you ever seen scenes in movies where men on crotch rockets race through heavy rush hour traffic? That happened one day on my way home from work. All I saw in my rear view was one motor cycle weaving through cars behind me and then it whizzed past me. I didn't notice the 3 other crotch rockets behind the first one until they sped past me weaving in and out of rush hour traffic. Scared the (blank) out of me. I was sure I was going to drive up onto an accident in the next few minutes.
Another time I was coming home from work in heavy traffic, and I was stuck in the far left lane and traffic wasn't going up to speed in any lane. I couldn't change lanes and this big pickup truck got behind me. The man driving it decided I wasn't going fast enough and decided to pass me on my left on the narrow shoulder and he nearly side swiped me because he was only inches from me as he was passing. If that wasn't good enough for him he nearly hit the front of my van when he jumped in front of me. CRAZY PEOPLE do stuff like that in rush hour traffic.
Another incident happened in the morning on my way to work. Some nutcase was in the middle lane and I was in the left lane. They were driving erratically and I moved a little more to the left as they were coming up on my right. As they passed me they tossed a full large fountain drink in a plastic cup right at my front windshield shattering the cup and it's contents on my windshield. That time I nearly had an accident.
Some people don't give a flip about safety, or speed limits, or even if their actions could kill someone else. They just want to go fast.
--
Maggie

On 08/08/2016 08:41 PM, Muggles wrote:

I learned a long time ago that it is best to let these folks "win". Then they go blasting past and I am in safe territory again. Well, safe, in that I get the ticket and they don't.
Wanting to change lanes, I learned that if I speed up and they race me, to race just a little with them, then brake and they have just cleared a nice wide open spot behind them.
:-)
On 8/8/2016 10:57 PM, T wrote:

I'd rather get out of their way, but sometimes there's no place to GET out of their way. Lately, I've been trying just getting in the middle lane behind the slower semi's. That seems to work pretty well, so far.
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2016 11:41 PM, Muggles wrote:

Don't ever drive in the cities in Italy. Motorcycles re like cockroaches when a light turns green and they scatter after having bunched up in between the stopped cars.

I don't condone tossing cups, but what were you doing in the left lane if they were coming up on you? The law is, keep right except to pass. Does not matter even if you were doing the speed limit it is a violation when traffic is typically moving faster.
I often see people hogging the left lane going slower than the rest of traffic. Idiots like that cause accidents. You rarely see that in Europe as they are more likely to get ticketed.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

I think the term-of-art in the UK is "Lane Discipline".
It is almost universal there - and, in Germany, approaches the status of religion.
Years ago in the USA there was as PR program called "Set The Pace For Safety".... apparently encouraging people to cruise the hammer lane.
That did a lot of damage to the national driving IQ IMHO - although, in recent years as speeds have increased, Lane Discipline seems to be resurrecting itself as a commonly-accepted idea.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 08/08/2016 08:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

We have a lot of two lane roads around here.
On 8/8/2016 7:05 PM, T wrote:

There are a few roads here that narrow down to 2 lanes, but it's mostly 4 lanes, and the interstates are 6 lanes at times, even.
--
Maggie

The Yellow Freight Radar Detector:
A JB Hunt driver strapped to the roof with a pair of binoculars.
So maybe you can strap the Missus to the roof?
Or just keep to the speed limit? It's been working for me and I haven't been stopped by the cops for anything in the last 25 years.
The cops in most places use laser anyway, so a radar detector won't do you much good. Laser is much harder to detect, so a fancy detector may not be worth much.
It's your money and you can do what you want, but the cops I'm friends with don't seem to think much about detectors. They say they laugh when they see one in the car or truck they just pulled over for excessive speed.
On 8/8/2016 12:59 PM, Bud Frede wrote:

Plus, many cops trigger and their equipment usually beat out others.
You are correct, I know several who also laugh while they handed a ticket to a driver with a detector. My friend, ex-cop, told a driver he should get his money back.
On 08/08/2016 03:47 PM, Meanie wrote:

That is why I use the cruise control too.
LEOs around here leave them on all the time.
On 08/08/2016 09:59 AM, Bud Frede wrote:

Good Idea. Truck don't go down most of the roads I am on
Got a customer with a lot of trucks. The tickets they pay are in the thousands of dollars. It is disgusting.
T posted for all of us...

slow to the speed before they may be cited. If you talk to a lawyer then he/she may know of this and popular locations of traps. If you fight it some judges automatically throw these out...
I personally find this reprehensible and the chiefs questionable.
--
Tekkie

On 08/07/2016 01:02 AM, T wrote:

Escort bought Belltronics.
What do you guys think of this one?
Pro200 https://www.beltronics.com/store/product.php?productid 210&cat$9
May go with the older, discontinued Pro100