Need new Radar Detector recommendations

Page 3 of 4
On 08/08/2016 12:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

I have never even been slightly rude to a cop. These guys will risk their lives for me and don't even know who I am. That needs to be honored.
My beef is with the SLEAZY POLITICIANS that tell them to go out and rob folks instead of pitch their tax raises to the public and let the public vote on it. Don't turn these decent young men into robbers. They are suppose to protect us, not prey on us.
On 8/8/16 7:55 PM, T wrote:

SLEAZY---POLITICIANS: A tautology to be sure; like wet water, cold ice, round circle...
My favorite slogan is the one about politicians and diapers both needing to be changed regularly...and for the same reason.
--
Want to close wage gap? Step One: Change your major from Gender Studies
or Feminist Dance Therapy to Electrical Engineering.
On 08/09/2016 06:45 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

1 +++++++++++++++++++++
On 08/07/2016 04:02 AM, T wrote:

Local LEOs are using speed measuring equipment that is so fast and stealth, by the time a scofflaw motorist is alerted by their detector, the LEO's device is printing the ticket.
Per Sam Ple:

It's probably different in the low-population-density areas like parts of Texas..... but, after a brief flirtation with radar detectors, I found it much less stressful to just move with the flow of traffic: mostly right land w/cruise set to lane speed. ..... Left lane to pass.... speed up to lane speed, pass, and then pull back in .... or, above a certain traffic density, just stay in the lane and maintain lane speed.
The safest position seems to be at the rear of a pack..... When I'm there, and I see somebody closing, I always move over before they have to slow down (German Autobahn rules).... and think of that guy as taking the point for me.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 08/07/2016 08:47 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The LEO's Ka band shows up like a soar thumb.

1+

Ha! I can pull over five times. (I call it playing "pull over". It is okay, I like to be by myself on the road. It is safer). I can have 20 cars BLAST past me so fast my car shakes. I GET THE TICKET !!!!!!!!!
My father and my father-in-law were the WORST two drivers I have ever know in my entire life. My father-in-law's nickname from his screeching tires was "old reckless". NEITHER ONE OF THEM EVER GOT A SINGLE TICKET IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES !!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On 8/8/2016 12:51 AM, T wrote:

I just bump the cruise control when I get to the speed limit even on some of the longer stretches here in town. Seems it wouldn't be all that difficult to sync the GPS to the speed limits and give us an option to stay with the speed limits. Whatever, they can ride my bumper or go around. Age does funny things to a fellow. I said I wasn't going to ever drive like that old fart in front of me when I was young.... but here I am and sure enough.
On 8/8/2016 8:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

Mentioned that my GPS shows speed limits and when they are exceeded. I've also reached the old fart stage and if guys at my rear bumper want me to exceed it, they will have to push me.

Yep, the world was my race track when I was young. I would seek out secluded back roads that I could drive as fast as I wanted. :)
The last 25-30 years I just haven't been in a hurry anymore. The difference between speeding and taking my time is usually less than 10 minutes for most destinations.
I used to be that guy who would weave in and out of lanes trying to get one car length ahead on my way to work. At some point I realized I wasn't getting anywhere and it just wasn't worth the stress or increased risk of accidents to myself or others. Now I just pick a lane, relax, and take my time. Safer, far less stress, and I arrive at my destination at nearly the same time. (I think Mythbusters did an episode on that once).

I can never understand the people who get so close and ride my bumper. They're trying to push me down the road, but it makes me nervous so I tend to drive slower so I can keep an eye on them and minimize the impact if they do hit me. Ironically, if they would back off a bit, I would drive faster. :)
These days I'm just tired of angry and impatient drivers. If someone gets too close and won't (or can't) go around, I just pull off somewhere when I get the chance and let the cars go by. I would rather let the angry idiots go ahead of me so I can take my time and enjoy the drive.
Life's too short to worry about arriving 5 minutes late.
If it's that big of a deal, leave 10 minutes earlier!
On 8/8/2016 11:21 AM, HerHusband wrote:

A couple of years ago my wife was going through an area known for speed traps and a black SUV came out close on her rear so she sped up. Turned out to be a cop and he ticketed her for speeding. She never told me as she was too embarrassed having gotten a speeding ticket a few years before. Had I known I would have fought it.
With all the current BLM crap coming down on police there are also many of us not pleased with the police because of speed traps, red light cameras etc.
I don't blame the cops but blame the municipalities that push them to help get revenue.
On 08/08/2016 09:50 AM, Frank wrote:

Absolutely. It is the SLEAZY POLITICIANS. When I spoke to all the candidates for County commissioner, that was one of my two issues I wanted. End the speed traps and don't raise my taxes. The one who told me the commissioners had nothing to do with it got voted against (liar). The one that recounted how the commissioners had get several traps removed, got voted for.
And the ones who said all new taxes would require a vote of the people got voted for too.
-T
On 08/08/2016 08:21 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I pull over a lot. I still get the ticket. They don't. Maybe I am easier to catch.

Can't say, I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30? years.
The last time I got pulled over the officer came to my window and said "sorry, I don't have a reason to pull you over. I didn't see your license plate. My mistake. You're free to go. Have a nice day." It was still a stressful interuption to a date night, but we got a good laugh out of it.
The last "valid" time I got pulled over (35? years ago) I forgot to put the new tags on my car. My bad. I had them in the glove box, so the officer just said to put them on and sent me on my way.
I keep waiting for the day I get pulled over for holding up traffic, but so far it hasn't happened. :)
My car is so old, I probably get extra credit just because it's still running. :)
On 8/8/2016 11:07 PM, HerHusband wrote:

How old is your car? Mine's 18 yrs old, but I've only been driving it for 14 years.
--
Maggie

It's a 1976 Rabbit, so it just turned 40 this year. :)
I bought it used about 28 years ago:
http://www.watsondiy.com/rabbit.htm
It's getting really rusty these days (just like me), but still gets me where I need to go.
On 8/9/2016 9:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:

We owned a 1980 Rabbit and had it for like 12 years til someone turned left in front of my husband and totaled it.
--
Maggie

On 8/9/2016 10:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:

There is a point that old cars that survived actually go up in value to collectors. Certainly got a good value out of your initial buy.
Per Frank:

I have never experienced that on a single-lane road.
OTOH, if there are two or more lanes, that situation is telling me that I should have been paying more attention to the rear-view mirror and move over to the slower lane sooner.
Were I put on the most miles, the speed limit is 65, but the left lane moves at 75-80+ and the right lane moves at about 71-73.
--
Pete Cresswell

I live in a rural area with a lot of 2 lane (really 1 1/2 lane) roads. If I find myself in an area where passing me would be difficult and there are 2 or more cars stacked behind me, I just slow down and pull over to the right as much as I can and let them pass. They're grateful and I'm glad too.
On 08/08/2016 12:52 PM, CRNG wrote:

1+
I like driving with the road to myself. It is much safer.
Sometimes when they pass me (not pulled over yet), my car will shake. I still get the ticket.