Need new Radar Detector recommendations

Page 1 of 4
Hi All,
My radar detector gave out (Beltronics RX65) so I need a new one.
I am looking at Amazon reviews and they say Beltronics doesn't honor their warrantees and that the units don't work in Texas heat.
Any one have a favorite model that will work in 100F heat and that won't break the bank?
The Revenuers around these parts use Ka band.
Many thanks, -T
On 8/7/2016 4:02 AM, T wrote:

No AC in the car? How well do they work with the instant on laser guns? I've not used a detector for years because the early versions were useless around here so I watch my speed until I get to the state line.
On 08/07/2016 06:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Air conditioner? Yes, I have one.

My old one seems to do all right on laser

I set my cruise control to 3 miles under posted. I use the detector for when the postings are ridiculous (speed traps). I do my damnedest not to be part of their revenue stream, but they are tricky too. It is all about steeling your day's wages.
There are several identical roads around here with different postings. One road goes from 25 to 35 to 45 back to 35 back to 45 down to 25. If you are watching your driving, it is easy to miss the signs. And, if you don't want your days wages taken from you by a gun and badge, you drive 24 on every part of the road. Yes, I pull over A LOT.
Another two roads are set at 45. Identical roads all around them are set to 55. It is extremely easy to get robbed if you were use to driving the speed limit on the other roads and yo don't reset the speed control. That is were the radar detector comes in.
Sometimes when the detector goes off, I just pull over and wait for the danger (highway robbers) to pass.
I have let the county commissioners know what I think of turning such fine young men that are suppose to protect us into robbers. And it is not the cops (turned robber's) fault. They are doing what some SLEAZE BAG politician told them to.
If you need more money, go to the tax payer and make your pitch for higher taxes. If the tax payer says "no", then learn to live within your means. Don't turn our cops into highway robbers.
On 08/08/2016 01:44 AM, T wrote:

Cars need an optical character recognition device to read speed limit signs. The cars computer could then generate an audible warning if you're speeding.
Or maybe there's already an app for that?
On 8/8/2016 4:13 AM, Barney Fife wrote:

My Garmin Nuvi gps shows speed limit and speed will change color if you exceed it. Car gps's and phone aps may also do this, and who knows, may even speak up that you are speeding.
On 8/8/2016 8:40 AM, Frank wrote:

Waze and Google Maps (navigation) also do it. Waze can be set to warn at a selected speed such as the limit, 5 over, 10 over, etc. I believe a few other apps also do so such as Co-pilot, but haven't tested it.
Barney Fife posted for all of us...

The Volvo's read the signs and perform the task you write. IDK if all collision systems do this...
--
Tekkie

On 8/8/2016 4:13 AM, Barney Fife wrote:

Many navigation systems show the speed limit. I have it both on the dash and the Heads Up Display. Fortunately, there is no warning sound because I'm usually 5 or 10 over the limit. The buzzer would have had the wire cut a long time ago.
I drive over the limit, but I don't weave or other crazy things. I may have mumbled at a few of you old farts though.
On 08/08/2016 01:13 AM, Barney Fife wrote:

It is about "Revenue Enhancement". Sleazy politicians everywhere would want them outlawed or would not fund them.
On 2016-08-07 11:44 PM, T wrote:

Wow that's a lot of froth over a speeding ticket. I consider it more of a stupid tax as opposed to "steeling". If you are stupid enough to speed, then you pay the tax.
Don't speed, don't get a ticket, it's pretty damn simple.

On 08/08/2016 05:44 AM, Idlehands wrote:

You forget there is trickery involved. That is why they are called "speed traps". Speeds are set lower and bizarrely such that a normal safe speed gets your lunch money taken from you (robbed)
On 2016-08-08 5:52 PM, T wrote:

Trickery? I think you have spent too much time in the sun without a hat. Just because you think it's a "safe" speed doesn't make it a trick when you exceed the posted speed limit.
Don't speed, what a simple concept.
--
The was a old guy named binky
Whose thumb began to smell stinky
On 08/08/2016 05:38 PM, Idlehands wrote:

25, then 35, then 45, then back to 25, then to 35 then 25. The road does not change one single bit. It is a wide open desert road. It is very easy to drift up. It is very easy to miss the signs if you are watching the road. AND THE ROAD DOES NOT CHANGE. It is called East Valley Road.
Two other roads are 55. The parallel roads are 45, except one, which is 55. The roads and EXACTLY the same. You have to travel on the 55 roads to get to them. The speed sign is just after you turn on to them. You know, when you are watching the road because you are turning and not watch off the road for signs. In other words, because you are driving safely you miss the signs. And the signs are not repeated for the entire 20 miles of the road.
One of the local ranchers put up a huge sign on his property warning everyone that this was a speed trap. (Rumors flew when he took it down.)
Yes, it is "trickery".
By the way, all but one county commissioner agreed with me. One even went off on me about the tickets he had got on on East Valley Road. I never went back and saw if he got elected. I sure voted for him
When I have to borrow money from my saving to feed my family and when I have to drive for a living, robbing me of my days wages is a HUGE deal.
On 2016-08-08 8:04 PM, T wrote:

You remind me of all the idiots here that whine and scream about photo radar and it cuts zero ice, pay attention and do the speed limit. If it's your "living" then it should be second nature. Otherwise suck it up and pay the fines, you earned them.
--
The was a old guy named binky
Whose thumb began to smell stinky
On 08/08/2016 08:06 PM, Idlehands wrote:

Oh bite me ass hole
On 2016-08-08 9:36 PM, T wrote:

Brilliant response, brilliant. Probably the same attitude you use with the cops. Enjoy your tickets.
--
The was a old guy named binky
Whose thumb began to smell stinky
On 08/08/2016 08:48 PM, Idlehands wrote:

Ass hole.
I complimented him. Told him I grew up around cops and although I did not know exactly what they were suppose to and that he did a good job and that at no time did I fell my safety was in danger.
My beef is with sleazy politicians, not the cops

And it is signed. If you can't follow the signs, that's your problem.

Or just drive at 25 and you'll be safe all of the various speed zones. :)
Sometimes speed zones don't make any sense. When I was a teenager I got a ticket for doing 50 in a 35mph zone. It was a deserted straight stretch of highway in an industrial area. Yeah, I was speeding, but I never understood why the limit was so low out there when there's nothing around.
I also got pulled over one night after midnight on my way back from a date with my girlfriend. The interstate was empty, not another car in sight. I was driving in the left lane because the trucks had torn up the two right lanes so bad coming up the hill. I wasn't speeding, but got a warning ticket for driving in the "emergency" lane. Really? I'm the only car on the road at 1am. If I see lights, I'll move out of the way. I'm sure I was just a dumb teenager to the officer, but I still thought it was a stupid reason to get pulled over at that hour.
HerHusband posted for all of us...

The officer was just checking on you. Classic drunk behavior at that time. Just doing his job. He gave you the warning so he could account for his actions and perhaps provide info for other incidents in the area.
--
Tekkie