need new dryer -- have long flue

Hi All,

It is getting time to get a new (gas) dryer. Anyone have a suggestion for a large capacity unit that is 1) reliable, and 2) has a strong blower, capable of overcoming the airflow resistance of a long flue? (The flue isn't clogged; I blow it out once a year with my weed blower.)

Many thanks,

--Tony snipped-for-privacy@gbis.com

Reply to
Anthony Ewell

Umm..every dryer has a limit on the duct run, and number of hard 90 degree turns in the duct. Also, every one tells you not to use flex duct, so if you have flex, replace it with hard 4 inch, and use NO screws to hold it together, and use the correct mastic and tape to seal the joints and support it per your local code..that will help matters greatly, however, if you exceed the makers length, the dryer will not have enough static pressure to overcome the friction of the duct, and as you get layers of lint that your blower WONTremove, it gets worse. There are booster vents, that can be mounted midpoint, or at the end of the run that will help, but nothing beats a short run.

Reply to
CBHvac

Thank you.

I have two 90 degree bends and 20' of hard, rigid 4" duct with no screws.

I was looking for comment of which (new) dryer was better able to cope with this. (I like the external to the house fan assist, but am at a loss to figure how to run electricity to it.)

Many thanks,

--Tony snipped-for-privacy@gbis.com

Reply to
Anthony Ewell

Hi,

Maytag Atlantis dryer seems to have one of the strongest CFM fan blowers in many of the dryers today.

long can my vent be.

Metal venting is best ( possibly a must ) for a gas dryer.

Type of vent hood is also crtical...large mouth ( no, not the Mother-in-law ) is a good vent hood choice.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, do you know how the CFM of Maytag's old DG9800 stacks up against the Atlantis?