need new coat on bathtub

I have an old fashioned bathtub and sink that I'd like have recovered. I know that bathtubs that are not plastic can have a new coat of enamel(?)put on. What is that procedure called and who does it?

Jo

Reply to
Mel

Mel wrote in news:46cccae5$0$4040$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Tub refinishing. and it's an epoxy paint job,sometimes with a urethane finish coat for lasting white and high gloss.

Use a well-known professional(yellow pages),they do good work and warranty their work. I hear the urethane finishes are best,they don't yellow like epoxy paints.

And you don't use abrasive cleaners anymore,you use 409 to avoid deglossing the finish.You also don't drop things that could chip the coating. They still don't last forever.10 years is good.

the really expensive,best way is to remove the tub and sink,and send them out for reporcelainizing.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks ever so much.

jo

Reply to
Mel

Still following this thread?

I would do a lot of research before investing in resurfacing. Search this and other home repair forums.

My understanding is that resurfacing works for a few years and then begins to chip/wear off. I understand that the area around drains are a problem and will wear more quickly than the rest of the tub.

There are other options, such as inserts that go over the existing tub and can even cover the walls to match. They make the tub smaller, but I understand that they last a lot longer than resurfacing.

I heard it said that resurfacing should be done just before you move out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I looked into this when redoing my kitchen two years ago, and while there are companies out there that can do a terrific job, you'll discover two things: (1) the resurfacing does not last nearly as long as the original, and (2) it's hugely expensive.

It is less expensive to go to your local plumbing supply house or big box store and buy a top-of-the-line brand new sink than it is to pay a company to resurface your old one. I hate the idea, but that's the reality.

Reply to
Kyle

That's what I decided too. To say nothing of the fact that they said everyone had to be out of the house for several hours, and everything had to be out of the room. Uh uh. Easier to get a brand new sink, which I did.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

- It is less expensive to go to your local plumbing supply house or big

- box store and buy a top-of-the-line brand new sink than it is to pay a

- company to resurface your old one. I hate the idea, but that's the

- reality.

You did notice that the OP included a bathtub in her post, didn't you?

While I'm not saying she should have it resurfaced, replacing a tub is a bit more of a project than replacing a kitchen sink.

Reply to
DerbyDad03