Need more motor help

If this is confusing please see the "How does...2 speed motor work thread" Thanks for the initial lesson. I am trying to fill in the blanks and learn so that I can use my spa for years to come.

1) The new motor is totally sealed as was the old. The plate on the new motor says Type = CSM. I assume this stands for Continuos Service Motor? Time = CONT I assume this is short for continuous? 2) The plate on the new motor also says: ENCL = DP, Form = PHM, Code = A, Insulation Class = B, AMB = 40 degrees C Are these important? Can you educate me on any of these that are. 3) On the new motor it says HP = 1.5 SPL If SPL is important, what is it? 4) For my knowledge/understanding; What is changed to make my motor run at high speed (looking at it, the coils and windings look the same as a single speed motor)? The thermostat turns the pump on low when it senses heat is needed. High is only achieved by pushing a button on the user control panel on top of the spa. But what changes to make the motor run on high. When I wired it I connected red (low speed), black (high speed), white (common) and green (ground) wires. Yet the old a new motors clearly say they are 110 volts. I used to think changing the voltage or do I mean amps? (e.g. electricity flowed through just the red wire on low, 110 volts, and both the red and black wire, 220 volts, on high) changed the speed but now assume I was very wrong on this. Could you correct my thinking on this please. 5) If I understand you correctly, even though the plate on both motors says 1.5 horsepower, my new 110volt motor gets 11% less HP than my old because the amps is lower, 3.1 on new, 3.46 on old? I assume there is an equation for this, may I know it? (3.46 - 3.1) / 3.1 = .11 Is that the equation? 6) I understand you when you say Power factor is the ability to run at above the stated horse power for a long period of time. If the factor is say 1.25 . You can get 25% more horse
power out of the motor and not hurt it. > I don't see power factor on the plate. How do I find out the power factor of the motor?
Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

Hi, One thing, power factor is always less than 1. Because most electrical load is inductive. I don't want to get into math for this. AMB = 40 deg. C ~104 deg. F. So the motor shouldn't run in ambient temp. higher than 104 deg. F. One Hp is approx. 750 Watts. When PF(power factor) is applied it can be lot more than 750 Watts. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nonsense. You're getting bad advice.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

ENCL=DP: drip proof; CODE =A: Locked Rotor Indicating Letter, Inrush current (when an AC motor starts up it draws more current than rated) A means current draw in KVA/hp is 0 to 3.14 amps and mid range is 1.6 amps. INSULATION CLASS = B : Temp can't exceed 105 deg C; AMB=40deg C I think means that the ambient temp can't exceed 40 deg C or 104 deg F, also the insulation absorbs water (do not use outside).

Calculate the % diff in HP: new HP-old HP/old HP (3.1-3.46)/3.46 = -10.4 % or 10.4% loss

Power factor, loosely defined, is the efficiency of a circuit. You can't have a power factor greater than 1. Power factor is calculated or measured in several ways. One is (watts /volt-amperes). You need a voltmeter, ammeter and a watt meter. Generally the smaller the motor the lower the Power factor.

That's all I know from my Coasty days as an electrician's mate 40 years ago.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

you remind me of me. . .Hey docc holliday saiid that in tombstone. .. i will ask an infinite # of questions about things i don't know. . 3.1 meansd yyour knew motor is more efficient, it's using less electricity to perform = to the other one. As for how does the moter change speeds. .

Reply to
Playintennis5274

Thank you -- your part is clear and easy to understand. I appreciate the humor too.

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

Ron, your answers are outstanding -- Thank You and thank you for your service to your country.

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy