need location of fridge defrost timer

I have a GE/Hotpoint side by side fridge/freezer, model # GSS22QGPACC, serial #MF229923. Both the freezer and fridge were a little warm (25F, 50F respectively) with all the fans working so I checked the coils and sure enough they were totally frozen over. I've defrosted the coils and now I want to check that the defrost timer isn't stuck in the off position. The problem is, I can't find the defrost timer! I checked under the unit in the back and under the temperature control panel on the food side, but I didn't see what I was looking for (a button looking thing with a slot for me to turn it with a flat head screwdriver).
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
On 11 Feb 2007 08:57:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Iced up coil usually means you left the freezer door ajar. You probably jammed too much stuff in and it didn't shut properly.
The timer is on the bottom. Look again.

It actually wasn't that full and the door was shut all the way. As a point of reference, it was the evap coils (not the condenser coils) that were iced.

On the bottom where? On the bottom inside the freezer? On the bottom outside behind the unit? On the bottom in front of the unit?
Are the condenser coils clean? I usually find these to be the prime culprit.
The defrost timer should be one of three places: behind the toe kick where you can see the condenser coils under the refrig at the back Up in the top of the refrig section where the light bulb and control panel are located.
Here is one of the better sites on the internet about appliances: http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_4_1.asp#Level1_3
You can get unit specific answers and order parts there. Your unit shows an electronic circuit board, I wonder if they have moved the defrost timer to a board.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

I believe they are, but I'll give them another look.

I looked in all three of those places and didn't see something that looked like the piuctures I've seen of defrost timers.

I was thinking that may be the case. If it is, I'll be forced to call for service. Thanks for your comments.
Well, after defrosting the evap coils, the freezer and fridge are back down to normal temps. I still have been unable to locate the defrost timer and I was wondering if it's possible it's on the "motherboard" which is behind a panel on the exterior rear of the unit. Any thoughts?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

If the fridge has electronic controls, it just makes sense for defrost timing to be controlled by the microcontroller on the board (zero extra cost) instead of an electromechanical timer.
But the problem might not be the electronics at all. If the defrost heater or its wiring is open, or there's a relay that energizes it and the relay is dead, you won't get a proper defrost even though the electronic controls are doing regular defrost cycles.
    Dave
Turns out the timer was on the motherboard and the problem was a faulty defrost heating coil. Fortunately for me, GE knows this is a common problem on this model year fridge and I got the repair done for free. :)
http://fixitnow.com/2004/04/mailbag-diagnosing-refrigerator.htm
This will give you an entertaining and technical journey toward your problem.
--
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you see a removable panel, probably secured by 4 screws, on the refrigerator's back at the lower right-hand corner (viewed from the rear) then that would be a good place to start looking. This would be behind the lower freezer section.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]