Need LED based camping lighst but based on power tool battery packs

I HATE things where the rechargeable battery is sealed up in the unit.... or a bunch of D cells to remove
I want a rechargeable bright camping light whereby the Li Ion battery packs slips and locks on just like a good rechargeable drill does. That way can have several pre-charged packs ready for use.... plus easy to charge
Any advice out there on this?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 7, 11:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Several tool companies have a conventional light that uses their battery packs. You could replace the filament bulb with several hi intensity leds. You'll need to calculate voltage drop and current to pick a resistor. That will depend on the voltage of the battery pack, how many led's you put in series, and the voltage drop of each led. It's pretty easy to figure out.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-lighting-flashlights-dc527.aspx run time:3.5 hrs
Dewalt makes a larger light with 1.5 hrs of run time that uses the same battery system.
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-lighting-worklights-dc020.aspx
If you have a rechargeable drill already, check if that manufacturer makes a suitable light.
Add pictures here
✖

thank you!!
that will work....even if fluorescent
and I don't have any rechargeable drill now... so can invest in default!
Add pictures here
✖

excellent!!
thank you so much
now to go to local Lowe's and see if they have it
If not guess I can order direct yes?
Add pictures here
✖

ok crazy idea
but how could I charge these battery packs using solar panel? say for remote cabin ... off grid
Add pictures here
✖

If your battery is Li ion, use a charging circuit that incorporates an IC made for that purpose. And make sure you use a power supply such that the IC does not malfunction. (Preferably with "linear" rather than "switching" regulation if your power supply is a solar cell array or similarly short of "rock solid"). Li ion batteries are fussy about being overcharged, and their hazards increase significantly if they are overcharged.

✖
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

thanks Don!
was hoping something available off shelf..... like cigarette outlet charger or something
Add pictures here
✖
I, snipped-for-privacy@misty.com (Don Klipstein) recently wrote:

One thing I meant to clarify: By linear rather than switching regulation, I was talking about the regulation technology implemented by the charging IC, not regulation of the power supply.

✖

several drill makers offer flashlights that use the same packs,but they aren't "camping lanterns",they all are tightbeam. I suppose you could make your own diffuser to fit over the flashlight head,like maybe a translucent plastic tub salvaged from some food product,or something similar. That idea for a camping lantern does seem like a good product to offer,though.
Of course,my $12 Everready 4D cell double tube flourescent lantern works great,runs for 20 hrs on both tubes or 40hrs on one tube. too bad they don't make them any more,or are hard to find. I just don't see them in the stores anymore,just the newer LED version.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Agree but after looking it seems only two bulb technologies above.... fluorescent and regular old incandescent!! blech!!

I just wish Coleman would adopt this battery PACK idea that the tool makers hv.... Li on that is
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 7, 10:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

There are Cfl units which consume about the same power, Ridgid has one. I know Leds continue to produce light at a lower power than cfls or incandesant, but fully draining a battery can ruin it. Until circuts are inplace, like in your cell phone, to stop the output of the battery at to low a voltage I think an Led will damage the pack by dropping voltage to low. Its just my thought.
Add pictures here
✖

You'd better off with nicads, They are more forgiving and more affordable. Weight is not a major factor in this problem. And if you want to solar charge then the idea of removable batteries no longer applies. You might as well incorporate enough cells to satisfy your nightly use. Build a single device with a solar panel on top, led lights in the middle, batteries on the bottom. Leave it out in the sun during the day and use it at night. A big version of those solar pwered garden lights.
Add pictures here
✖

true
but where to find such unit that is quality built?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 8, 8:30 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I've not seen one. Either just because I haven't t or because it doesn't exist. It may be too small a demand. Your hardcore camper doesn't want anything he/she can't backpack. Your casual family camper is probably fine with the coleman battery powered cf unit.
Add pictures here
✖

Most drill/tool systems have a light that uses the same batteries and chargers. Why not buy one that matches your drill?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 8, 11:57 am, snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote:

The tool ones are usually incandescent, directional, and only last a few hours.
Add pictures here
✖

you could make a light if you wanted powered by any convenient power source.
for LED and reflectors use a bunch of those FREE harbor freight flashlights
Add pictures here
✖