Need Ideas to Attach Pet Gate to Window

I would like some tips on installing a car pet gate inside a small recessed window at home. Please see the following pics of the pet gate.
http://i.imgur.com/tbgNSLk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mdU2WSs.jpg
The pet gate is 9.5" high, 1/8" thick and is expandable to about 3 ft. My home window is 12" high and 30" wide. I'd like the gate to be centered within the 12" height.
I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to attach the gate to the inner or outer sides of the window while allowing me to open the gate when needed. Finally, the gate must be attached securely enough to withstand the determined attempts of an indoor cat that likes to look out the window but will try to get past the gate to mess with the screen. Thanks.
On 6/27/2015 8:06 PM, M.L. wrote:

I'd cut a 12' or so length of 1 x 3 and attach one side of the gate to it. I'd attach that to the window frame or wall.
The other side I'd secure with a hook and eye or similar.

Why is it many of today's recent adults can't solve simple problems? One would think he would have had a plan before he bought the gate.
On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:39:03 -0500, Gordon Shumway

It's meant for a car. He or someone must have bought it for a car and not used it for that.

The initial plan I tried didn't work. Do you have a workable recommendation?

Yes. Throw that cheap piece of crap away and start over.

I'd like to thank everyone for their installation recommendations. I didn't mention that my window is frameless so I'm going with this recommendation because it can be implemented on the outside of the window drywall (with anchors).
I only need a 10"-12" board of 1/4" thickness to attach the gate securely to the outside of the window. My only reservation is that I'd need to drill a hole in each end of the left side of the plastic gate and I can only hope that the plastic won't shatter from a drilling. A hook for the other end would be perfect for allowing me to open the gate at will. Thanks again.

It might be a little less high when it's been expanded.

When you open and close the gate, the distance between the two "horizonatal" arms will change.

True, but there still won't be enough room for the cat to stick it's head through the top or bottom opening.

True. Perhaps I can get by with securing only one of the horizontal arms?

I just tried expanding the gate. You're correct. Each arm pivots a bit when stretched.

I'd probably make a frame that's a bit smaller than the closed gate. Fasten that securely. Put the gate on the inner side of the frame. That would at least keep the cat from pushing it open by brute force.