Need Ideas Full Post

I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills. The problem is our cat knocks them over. I'm looking for a way to secure them. The window is metal. The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro. I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in the metal sill. The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than 1/8" ) I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area. Whats your idea ???????
The problem is our cat knocks them over. I'm looking for a way to secure them. The window is metal. The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro. I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in the metal sill. The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than 1/8" ) I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area. Whats your idea ???????

I remember my parents putting those little electric candles in our windows when I was a kid... they had these little sheetmetal brackets that were basically "Z" shaped (with the vertical part of the "Z" actually perfectly vertical) with a hole in one end of the "Z" to hold the candle, you'd slide it over the candle and then shut the window on it, then it'd stay there. Sounds a little less destructive than epoxy...
nate

I recently saw in one of the catalogs of useful stuff that we get (don't recall which one) suction cups that have a loop to hold the candle to the window. So, they're out there -- maybe you can find with a little searching.
desgnr wrote:

Shoot the freakin' cat, or forget the stupid candelabras.
Dave Bug: Did you take your meds today???????

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:14:59 +0000, desgnr wrote:

epoxy the cat
desgnr wrote:

Fill the base with Plaster of Paris to add weight. It's only eight nights.

That's even a fix for next year - if the cat lives. I was thinking Velcro (lamp or cat:)
desgnr wrote:

might be a fire hazard. You should be able to plug the base - with a dowel or a cork - to fasten the light to some sort of base. Not seeing your windowsill limits one to suggest a fix. Why is the base so narrow? Seems something is missing or they were intended to have a candleholder??????

put on a birthday cake, not the kind you'd put on a window sill.
Regardless, I had problems with ours (more like 1.5" base) and I used those 3M removable hooks and some fine wire. I put a hook on two sides of the base, then use the wire around the base and hooks to keep the light in place.
When i said the base was 1/8", i meant the actual base is 2" in diameter & hollow so the metal part around the circonference is 1/8" thick.

Sorry, your cat insists on it's right to sit on the window sill and look out the window. He/she is pushing the lamps off the sill because they are in its way. Cats get bored and need to entertain themselves by looking out the window for birds, squirrels or other activity. Unless you can find a way to permanently mount the lamps or physically clamp them to the window, your cat is just going to push harder to get them out its way.

EXT wrote:

When I met my hubby, his cat thought that he owned the kitchen counters and dining room table. No way do I eat or prepare food where the kitty has trod. He got trained in a hurry. Fortunately, he was a very sweet kitty and didn't like being scolded. I had never expected to miss a cat, but Kitty (his name from former owner) was a sweety, very well behaved. If the cats are left to use one window, they might be trainable and leave the others alone, although the lights might be a fascinating toy. A glob of florist clay under each candle might hold them to the sill - don't know whether the stuff reacts with metal, but some sort of clay or putty should hold pretty well.
I like the plaster of paris idea. Do you think the adhesive side of velcro will stick to the plaster ???????

desgnr wrote:

candle" support suction ' and got lots of hits, among them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/8-NEW-ELECTRIC-CANDLE-Candlestick-WINDOW-SUCTION-CLAMPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ300170152102
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/39705-suction-cup-candle-holders.html
http://doitbest.com/Battery+Operated+Candles-Adams+Mfg.+Christmas-model-1500-99-1040-doitbest-sku-901545.dib
http://home-and-garden.become.com/lawn-garden-and-outdoor/outdoor-furnishings/decor/electric-window-candle
I rather like the putty idea, but would probably go for duct tape myself. Wad up a ball of d.t. for the cats to play with, sticky side out :o)

You need something like these: http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdIdt58
I have something similar, but it is a soft clear plastic strap. One end has loops which goes over the candle body, the other end has a suction cup for the window.
Tip...I replace the bulbs that come with those lamps with clear 4-watt nightlight bulbs. Less wattage, they run cooler and last longer.
Where are they. The address you posted is for a bracket that sticks to the window

Correct. The link was only to show an example of what's out there.
Try googling some or all of these words: christmas electric candle window bracket strap holder
That's what I did. I didn't go thru every link looking for an exact match to what I have. That's your mission :)
The strappy things I have came from a local department store long ago. If you browse the christmas sections you'll probably find something similar. Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc.