Need ideas for less expensive pool cover & motor replacement

Has anyone an idea for fixing a pool cover less expensively than from the pool-cover company?
Since it's a "safety" feature, I didn't expect parts to be cheap but my vinyl Infinity 4000 pool cover was quoted at 3,000 dollars and the motor at 1,200 dollars.
Can a small motor such as that which rolls the pool cover up really cost 1200 dollars?
Or is this quote from the manufacturer just way too high?
I tried searching for Infinity 4000 parts online but haven't found any yet.
Any ideas?
--- ---
On Tue, 4 May 2010 01:23:18 -0700, Melissa Andrade wrote:

It's apparently a 3/4 horsepower motor shown here http://www.poolcoverssa.co.za/infinity.html
1200 dollars seems steep for a 3/4 hp motor, even if it is submersible.
Do you think a "regular" 3/4 hp motor will work in its place?
--- ---

You are not just buying a motor, but a complete drive system. A submersible motor and stainless geared system can be quite pricey. While a regular 3/4 hp motor may work, it is subjected to a rather harsh environment and may not last more than a year or so with the combination of water and chlorine. They you still need a drive mechanism. If you were to assemble a system of your own, I can see where you'd spend $500 to $700 for parts easily and they may not work nearly as well or for long.
Melissa Andrade wrote the following:

Take the motor to a electrical service center. It may be as simple as replacing the brushes. Is there something wrong with the actual cover?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Exactly. Per your comments and those of Ed, are we talking replacing/ fixing just a motor or is this the price for a whole drive system? If it's just the motor, identify it as a component itself and you will likely find that it is available from other sources or could be rebuilt by a local electric motor shop.

On Tue, 4 May 2010 06:29:53 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The pool cover is torn at the edge and the motor doesn't spin when I turn the key.
They quoted me assuming the motor and pool cover needed to be replaced, but, said if the motor doesn't need it, then they'll just replace the cover.
Since I now now (after their quote) that the motor is 1200 bucks if it needs replacing, I'm better off taking it to a motor-fix-it place as per your recommendation.
The cover is the tough thing. I'd like to just cut off the first two feet and then sew it (somehow) back to the pipe that it's attached to in front but they said they had to replace the whole cover at hugely inflated prices!
--- ---
On Tue, 4 May 2010 13:01:51 -0700, Melissa Andrade

Owning a pool is expensive. A retractable pool cover is another not inconsiderable expense. We've had one for many years. It's usually closed to keep dirt out and heat in. The sun takes a toll. It comes with a 5 year warranty. We've had in replaced 3 times in 20 years.
Here's the thing about doing it yourself. It if fails, you have no recourse. We've had the same company do all of the work. If something fails, they can't point the finger at anyone else. A couple of times the seams have ripped early. They came out and fixed it for no charge or only a nominal charge.
If the seam ripped in one place, it's probably getting weak everywhere. If you sew it yourself or have someon=e do it, you'll have to disassemble it and then reinstall it correctly. I've watched them to it. If it's not aligned, the motor will tear it or it'll jam.
For me, it's far cheaper in the long run to make them do it and do it right and fix it if it breaks. ymmv. It depends on what your time and frustration is worth.
You remind me a bit of the person who buys a high-end luxury car and then complains about not being able to use cheap gas. If you are going to own a pool, there will be expenses.
Now, if you don't like to trust the cover company, find another company.
On Tue, 04 May 2010 17:42:36 -0700, Prof Wonmug wrote:

That's the really strange thing.
I don't think there is another pool-cover company!
At least that's what they told me.
a) This is the company that makes the Infinity 4000 pool cover system. http://www.poolcovers.com/infinity.html
b) This is their SOLE distributor/repairer for northern California! http://www.poolcoversinc.com/infinity.shtml
c) Do you know of another pool company that will repair the Infinity 4000 in northern California?
--- ---
On Tue, 4 May 2010 23:01:05 -0700, Melissa Andrade

And you believed them?

Have you even looked yourself?
Actually, Pool Covers, Inc. is the company that installed our pool cover and has maintained it for 20 years. They are not cheap, but they seem reasonable. When we have had a problem, they have fixed it. When something didn't exceed the warranty, they have either fixed it free or prorated the cost of replacement. They've been in business since 1984, so that's something.
On Wed, 05 May 2010 02:53:35 -0700, Smitty Two

You are also ignoring a couple of other potentially serious issues. (1) Safety. Pool covers can be a hazard. Someone can get trapped underneath and drown. I wouldn't trust a handyman to know the risks or the laws. (2) Warranty. I would not trust a handyman to repair a submersible motor or the complicated drive mechanism without voiding the warranty. (3) My time. I would rather pay a few hundred dollars more and make it their problem. It's a complicated pool cover -- not a closet door.

You do make some good point, But. . . . . . . . . .
The pool company wants to install a $1200 motor and drive assembly but the real problem may be a $1.29 switch. I'd check that out first.
It won't void the warranty because they want her to pay $1200, thus no warranty. If there was warranty issues, it would be done free.
If there are other issues with the cover, they may best be done by a pro.
On Wed, 5 May 2010 23:27:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You're right.
Warrantees are almost useless.
At least the pool cover warrantee is almost useless to me, as I'm not the original owner. The pool was built more than 10 years ago and the company has no record of the cover being replaced so nothing is under warrantee ... not the drive, not the pool, nothing.
I've never collected on a warrantee in my life so I didn't expect much anyway from it.
--- ---
On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:36:36 -0400, willshak wrote:

I think that is a good idea. I don't know why the motor won't start, but, maybe they can get it to start.

The cover was left retracted for years and the sun bleached the fabric so much that it tore all along the edge where it was connected to the leader bar across the pool.
I thought we could just cut off the first two feet of the cover but the salesperson who came to look said he has to replaced the whole cover if any part of it is torn (safety thing he said).
I was hoping a "sailsmith" (or whatever they're called) could sew a new front leader onto the cover but I'm resigned to replacing the cover if I can find a supplier other than the original company who can do it for less.
--- ---
On Tue, 4 May 2010 12:58:50 -0700, Melissa Andrade

I would first try using a mallet and tap the side of the motor, while starting it. It may just start for you.

Good idea. And certainly before concluding the motor needs to be removed, you need to verify that voltage is present at the motor. Just because the key doesn't make it go doesn't mean it's the motor. Could be the key switch, gfci breaker, loose wire, etc.