Need ideas (electrical)

I just built a pole barn (36 x 48). I put clear panels on one side 2 feet from the eave to allow light in during the daytime hours. This seems to work great. I will use this mostly for storage of my RV, lawn mower and etc. But what if I want to work on my RV inside at night?
Running an electric line is too costly. I want to be able to use my generator for the rare occasions. I want to be able to plug my generator into an outside outlet and have it feed an outlet, or 4, and a couple lights. I don't want to run a wire under or thru a door/ window.
How would you do it?
Hank

You don't feed an outlet. You feed an "inlet". From a generator store, or electrical supply, you can buy a "flanged inlet". From the flanged inlet, you can feed all your internal wiring. Here is a link to one in a rain tight enclosure: http://cgi.ebay.com/RELIANCE-L14-20-RAINTIGHT-POWER-INLET-BOX-FOR-GENERATOR_W0QQitemZ120475421184QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091001?IMSfp=TL091001141003r36087

Point taken. See, that's why I'm asking for ideas. Your idea will be used.
Thanks, Hank

I'd put something like this switch on my panel box- http://www.interlockkit.com /
and plug my generator into this inlet; http://www.apelectric.com/U050N-50-Amp-120-240V-Power-Inlet-Box-3R-p/u050n.htm [I'm spending your money here, but I'd go with the 50amp over the 30 for $20 even if it was mine]
Jim

Jim, he should use a 4 wire inlet. He's not feeding his service panel, just some temp lights and outlets in an otherwise non electrified pole building
-snip-

I guess I forgot to start with my first thought. . . "Do it as though you already have power to the barn. That way when you [or the next guy] brings power to it, everything is ready."
I'd do it up to code with a couple 8' grounds- I might pass on the interlock.
If this was a 10x12 garden shed I'd say 'go with an extension cord. . . . but it is a 36x48 pole barn fer cryin-out-loud!.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

What he said. After the investment for a barn/shed that size, why nickel/dime in the end for something that will soon undoubtedly not suit?

*Install a flanged inlet outside that feeds into a small electrical panel inside. From the electrical panel I would run my wiring (EMT probably in your situation) to outlets and lights. If down the road I wanted to run a feed from the house or the power company transformer the interior wiring would already be in place.
John Grabowski wrote:

Sounds like a good plan.
Add Jim's ground rods.
Make sure receptacles are GFCI protected.
Neutral and ground must be bonded. I assume the generator does that. The generator ground has to come in through the inlet as RBM indicated.
--
bud--

The panel sounds like what I want to do. It seems with all the other suggestions, that is THE way to go.
Gorunding rod.....grounding rod, where did I put that grounding.......seriously, I already have one to install.
Hank