Need ideas (electrical)

I just built a pole barn (36 x 48). I put clear panels on one side 2 feet from the eave to allow light in during the daytime hours. This seems to work great. I will use this mostly for storage of my RV, lawn mower and etc. But what if I want to work on my RV inside at night?

Running an electric line is too costly. I want to be able to use my generator for the rare occasions. I want to be able to plug my generator into an outside outlet and have it feed an outlet, or 4, and a couple lights. I don't want to run a wire under or thru a door/ window.

How would you do it?

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

You don't feed an outlet. You feed an "inlet". From a generator store, or electrical supply, you can buy a "flanged inlet". From the flanged inlet, you can feed all your internal wiring. Here is a link to one in a rain tight enclosure:

RBM

[should be a separate 'gloat' post] You suck.

I'd put something like this switch on my panel box-

and plug my generator into this inlet;
spending your money here, but I'd go with the 50amp over the 30 for $20 even if it was mine]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim, he should use a 4 wire inlet. He's not feeding his service panel, just some temp lights and outlets in an otherwise non electrified pole building

Reply to
RBM

*Install a flanged inlet outside that feeds into a small electrical panel inside. From the electrical panel I would run my wiring (EMT probably in your situation) to outlets and lights. If down the road I wanted to run a feed from the house or the power company transformer the interior wiring would already be in place.
Reply to
John Grabowski

-snip-

I guess I forgot to start with my first thought. . . "Do it as though you already have power to the barn. That way when you [or the next guy] brings power to it, everything is ready."

I'd do it up to code with a couple 8' grounds- I might pass on the interlock.

If this was a 10x12 garden shed I'd say 'go with an extension cord. . . . but it is a 36x48 pole barn fer cryin-out-loud!.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

... What he said. After the investment for a barn/shed that size, why nickel/dime in the end for something that will soon undoubtedly not suit?

--

Reply to
dpb

Sounds like a good plan.

Add Jim's ground rods.

Make sure receptacles are GFCI protected.

Neutral and ground must be bonded. I assume the generator does that. The generator ground has to come in through the inlet as RBM indicated.

Reply to
bud--

Point taken. See, that's why I'm asking for ideas. Your idea will be used.

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

On Oct 22, 7:53=EF=BF=BDam, "John Grabowski" wrot= e:

The panel sounds like what I want to do. It seems with all the other suggestions, that is THE way to go.

Gorunding rod.....grounding rod, where did I put that grounding.......seriously, I already have one to install.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank