Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

I have a JD 655 compact tractor/mower with a 3 cyl diesel engine. The starter went bad and I took it to a guy who fixes starters and alternators. He removed it from the tractor, took it apart and determined that he couldn't fix it.
I took it to another guy who fixed it. Now I need to re-install it on the tractor. No problem - except for one thing. Since the first mechanic removed it from the tractor, I didn't notice where all of the wires connect. Actually, I know where they all go except ONE. There is the battery cable and generator cable that connect to one side of the solenoid and the cable from the ignition switch to the solenoid.
The remaining wire runs over to what appears to be a fuel shutoff. I THINK it connects to the hot terminal on the solenoid but when I connect it, the fuel shutoff engages - even when the ignition is off. Obviously, this would drain the battery.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the purpose of this wire AND where it connects?
Thanks.
Chuck
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:26:29 GMT, "Chuck Jurgens"

I'm really guessing here.
Connected that way I believe that if you ever started this thing it would drain the fuel tank too. [g]

The purpose is to shut the fuel off so the engine quits running.
There must be another contact someplace from the "ignition" switch to the fuel solenoid -or- from an oil pressure switch.
But what do I know, why not go to Wally World and buy a manual?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?dest 99999997&product_id84287&sourceid00000030660805302498
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

It's the fuel supply solenoid...on the 955 (which actually now I look the service manual covers the 655 thru 955) it connects on a side terminal on the starter...as I recall, it's on the back side where it's a real pita to get to when the starter is mounted so you may not be able to see it easily.
I assume this is the white?
Also, I've never seen a JD dealer that wouldn't answer such a question or supply a copy of the wiring diagram simply for the asking--particularly if one uses them for parts, etc., on a at least a reasonably regular basis--it's a reason to give them your business.
Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!
Chuck

alternators.
the
connect.
cable
cable
THINK
the
would
where it

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

Great...
The guys in the shop at JD <do> know who you are, though, right???? :)
No, they don't. This is my first John Deere. I bought it recently on eBay. It had a bad starter and JD wanted $400 for a new one.

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

.....[top posting repaired]...

Well, you'll find in the long run it pays to make their acquaintance imo...
http://jdpc.deere.com sign up and you can browse thru parts illustrations for all JD products
--
Barry

"Chuck Jurgens" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Chuck,
Go to Google and type in John Deer and it will take you to their web site. You can look up your tractor there and even the manual/s for tractors. They also have a "help" site.