Need help with wireless thermostat problem

I'm having a problem with a new wireless thermostat and wonder if I could get some advice.

The thermostat is a Carrier TSTATCCPRF (thermostat) and TSTATCCREC01 (receiver). The manual is at

or see
for the entire set.

The furnace relay on the other end is a Honeywell R845A (manual at

or
This is for an oil fired furnace.

I have the T T connections from the relay going to the W and R connections on the thermostat.

Now, when I first hooked up the thermostat, everything worked fine for a while. Then the relay at the furnace started buzzing. This happens even if the transmitter and receiver are right next to each other. When I put back the old thermostat the problem goes away. I got a replacement thermostat of the same model and the same problem happens, so I don't think it is defective.

The back of the manual mentions that with a 4 wire system, adding a

270 ohm, 10 watt resistor across the Y and C terminals at the furnace will provide more power, but I have a 2 wire system and I'm not using the C terminal.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this problem.

Dave

Reply to
dave_nedde_rem

I think what happens is that when the thermostat is calling for heat, it works fine, but once it's satisfied and opens the circuit, it causes chatter at the relay because it has a voltage robbing charging circuit built into it. It allows a trickle of current to pass, in order to keep the batteries charged. This type of system works fine on many relays, but some of the newer ice cube relays take such a small amount of current to energize them, this trickle causes them to almost pull in and chatter. I would contact the manufacturer if the manual doesn't mention this

or
or see

or
for the entire set.