Need help with Vent Problem with gas boiler

Hello, We bought a house and just moved in and noticed that the propaine gas fired Boiler is vented horizontally out from basement to the outside with pipe and terminating on the outside a few feet from the ground level. The house is a 1 story ranch and the pipe terminates on the side of the house where the eaves are. The problem is that it is causing condensation up under the eaves and frost is forming on the rafters in crawlspace above house. The system is 7 years old. Obviously this was vented wrong needs to be vented elsewhere. The previous owners did not use the boiler that often and used wood. There is exsisting chimney that is close to the boiler that was used by the previous owner for an add on wood boiler that is no longer there. The chimney is not in use now and and we have no plans for using it. The chimney is centrally located in the building The flue is tile. Can the boiler be vented into this exsiting chimney? The Boiler is a Weil-McLain High- Efficiency Gas Boiler. (HE II 5) Here is a quote from the Venting directions. "The HE II boiler may be vented directly through an outside wall or through the roof using standard 3-inch galvanized vent pipe. In addition, the boiler may be vented into a chimney inside the building with or without other gas appliances, using single-wall galvaized vent pipe. For extended runs through cold area-or when venting into a chimney on an outside wall- Type 304 or 316 stainlss steel vent pipe must be used. Whne venting into an outside chimney, the stainless vent pipe must run through the ntire lengh of the chimney." Any advice will be appreciated Thank you.

Reply to
Karen

I would think that the chimney could be used. I would check with a heating proffesional to be sure. Sealing the entry might be tricky. As a dodge until you find out, why not extend the vent so that it does not rise into the eves. Just a suggestion

Reply to
SQLit

The code has changed since that manual was written. This is a Type III appliance. It requires stainless steel vent pipe regardless of how you vent it. Galvanized was inadvertently allowed for a few years.

As far as venting in the chimney you're very likely to have condensation problems.

Is frost form>Hello, We bought a house and just moved in and noticed that the

Reply to
Steve Scott

Thanks for the suggestion. We looked at he pieces of gas vent pipe. The eaves stick out quite a way. At the building supply store we bought an 18 inch piece of gas vent pipe and it looks like that will bring it out farther but not comepletly out past the eaves. It was dark when we got home so we didn't have a chance to try it. It was only $5 so if it doesn't matter if it doesn't work. How far out would it be safe to extend pipe? But I suppose any extention of it will help untill we get a professional here or at least talk to one. Please explain what you mean by "sealing the entry might be tricky". We are planning on getting a professional here but we would just like some advice/ideas before they come. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Karen

Obviously your local code official thought it was ok...it DOES have a record of a permit being pulled for the installation does it not?

Point?

Nope. Not unless you line it. And even then, you need to know if the run from the gas unit to the flue will exceed code.

Not any more. Galvanized is a no no.

\

Well...thats old code...if you change it now, you need to follow new code, and your local guy that is going to be doing the work for you should have a copy of the International Mechanical Code and the Fuel Gas Code that state what you need to know. In other words, what the OLD book said was legal then, its not now.

Reply to
CBhvac