Need help with thermostat

I recently purchased a Honeywell RTH7500 to replace a Trane Baystat240. I have a multistage electric heatpump and A/C. I was about to call my local HVAC contractor to install it, when I had the idea of at least reading the manual first and seeing how complicated the install would be. The manual left me feeling like I could do it. (after all I am not completly ignorant - just mostly). The wiring diagram looked straight forward, this is what I came up with:

Baystat240 - Honeywell red (R) - R black (T) - not used Orange(O) - O Green (G) - G Yellow(Y) - Y Brown (X2) - E Blue (B) - C White (W) - Aux

Seemed real simple - and the problem that resulted seems like it may be real simple: When the heat is on the thermostat - I get ac, and when the ac is on I get heat. Is it time to follow my first instinct of calling someone - or is this a simple silly-ass problem?

Thanks for the help

Reply to
elimar

Trane's a piece of garbage.

SOME of their equipment needs an interface board to be able to install a 'standard' thermostat. What's the model number of the equipment?

Looks like you have a heat pump....

Reply to
HeatMan

And if it is a heat pump, that requires a thermostat specially made for pump.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I can't help you with your problem of heat/ac switched, however I also have a multistage electric heatpump and A/C with auxilliary heating. I don't think the RTH7500 is compatible with this system. So, that might be your problem right there. I installed a Honeywell CT3611R that works great with my system. I am VERY un-handy with this sort of thing, but I managed to install it myself and it works. When I later had my heat pump/furnace replaced, I had the guy check the thermostat and he said it was all correct.

Good luck! Lisa

Reply to
edlisal

I actually got it working. Just a matter of entering the right code for the type of system I have on the installer setup options on the thermostat. All is well and my house is comfortable!!

Thanks

Reply to
elimar