Need help with outdoor sculpture

Hi,
Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden frame onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one problem: I've never done anything even remotely similar to this. My first thought is modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out in the rain. Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to it. Cement? Too heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I would certainly appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other group would also be helpful.
Thank You

"hypertufa" over a wire mesh on a frame, perhaps?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertufa>
--
Life. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh. -- Dr. Who

Urethane foam such as this stuff. You should be able to find something similar locally:
http://www.generalplastics.com/products/product_detail?pid &PHPSESSIDg1b6738ac254741d5c3e89505172f3e

DJ
: Hi, : : Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some : sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden frame : onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one problem: I've : never done anything even remotely similar to this. My first thought is : modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out in the rain. : Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to it. Cement? Too : heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I would certainly : appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other group would also be : helpful. : : Thank You
How about styrofoam? It's cheap at the lumber yard, very light as a covering, reasonably easy to sculpt/saw but with some caveats as it can make a mess. Never tried anything that large though.
Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I'll pass on the styrofoam, but the other two are definitely worth a try.
Thanks again.
angel toledo wrote:

How to sculpt a rabbit. 1. Obtain block of marble of sufficient size. 2. Chip away everything that does not look like a rabbit.
Or,
Visit a large nursery and get one of those wire frames that, when covered with vines, looks like a hedge attacked by Scissorhand.
One wonders how well your neighbors will take to the idea...

wkearney99 wrote:

Actually, my next door neighbor hates us. It all started when we had some construction done on the front of the house, porch, and roof. The workers made a lot of noise/dust and that just infuriated her. Every day she would scream at the workers telling them to stop; once she even shot water at them from a hose. We finally had to call the police on her in order for the job to be comnpleted. During all this I built a small waterfall in the front garden. The neighbor told us it was a piece of sh*t, however, not a day goes by where someone doesn't pass by and tell us how beautiful it looks. Go figure.
So when I make my Christmas sculptures and display them out in front, if the neighbors don't like it, I couldn't care less.

Not exactly instructions on how to do it.
But some nifty ideas that your neighbors would love here.
http://www.math.umn.edu/~vishal/funstuff/snowman/snowman.html
AMUN

material called 'staff'.A mixture of plaster of paris, portland cement and jute - which is like twine fiber.Build a strong armature, build up the material and carve away. Should hold up until March or so in a snowy/rainy clime.