need help with leather

I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has been left in a cupboard. The leather both outside and inside seems to have degraded and become sticky.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it please? At the moment it leaves a sticky deposit whenever a hand even touches it! Is it possible to recondition it or put some protective covering layer on all the leather?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

Reply to
DManzaluni

On 12/8/2010 8:30 PM DManzaluni spake thus:

I'd try some saddle soap first. It's made for leather, has a good chance of cleaning the schmutz off, and can't hurt it if it doesn't.

Try that; if that doesn't work, then come back here for plan B.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sure it is leather? I've seen faux leather do that, but never the real stuff. Real leather dries out and flakes away, like an old book binding or briefcase.

Reply to
aemeijers

Since we can't see exactly what the problem is, take it to a shoe repairman and get his opinion.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

That was my thought. Could be a plasticizer bleeding out. No way to salvage as even if washed off it would probably become brittle.

Reply to
Frank

If it is leather then it has been over conditioned, that's all. Clean it with saddle soap and let it air dry. It will be good as new again.

Una

Reply to
Una

Thanks for that: It must be fake leather. I have never seen leather do this either

I will take it to a small shoe repairer and see what he says

Reply to
DManzaluni