Need help with electric motor.

I salvaged an electric motor from a washing machine and am trying to power it up. I was messing around with it and putting 110v through different combinations of leads. One combination resulted in the motor making a noise of somesort so I think it works I just dont know how to give it propper power. Well needless to say I blew it. While looking at it after shorting it out I realized that I put the power through 2 wires that both connected to a little black box but the only thing that is burned it inbetween one of the wires and a termanal that connected to the washing machine. I think this is what is broken so I am hopping to find out what it is so I can get another. Onece I get a new one of those I would appreciate some help trying to find how to wire it correctly. The motor has these thing written on it:

FSP part# 3349644 E113 Model C68PXDBZ-3290 HP 1/2 Volts 115 Amps 9.8/9.0 Hz 60 RPM 1725/1140 Thermally Protected L

189-227 MFD - 110 VAC

The little black box that I think blew from the short is apx

11/2X1X1/4 with 2 termanals coming out. It has 800 on it then there is lettering I cant tottaly make out I think it says 20M?O?ME on the back it says THERM-O-DOSC. I know this is alot to ask but I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. I can take a pic but i dont now how to post it or anything like that but I can e-mail it. Thank you far any help Josh
Reply to
joshbrees

Josh,

It sounds like the thermal protection switch. But why not get an expert opinion? Look in your phonebook under electric motors. Shops that sell parts and rebuild motors are quite common.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Old washing machines are easy enough to come by in most urban areas. I see them at the roadside regularly in my area. I would just get another motor from a discarded washer. And this time, go to you local Public Library and get a book on electric motors so you know how to tell which wires to connect to what. Des

Reply to
Des Perado