Need help with Chandelier wiring

Hi,
I need to install a chandelier in my dining room. But there is no provision for wiring as it is concrete ceiling.
So, I need to run wires on the ceiling and to the walls and finally to the power box. I was wondering if there is some sort of decorative wiring or some fancy cable that doesn't look ugly on my ceiling and walls. I am not a big fan of wiremolds - I would like to avoid it if possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, S P

What type of building do you live in? Why is the ceiling concrete? (I know it's not relevent, but I'm curious).

Perhaps you could do some trickery with mouldings. i.e. put several mouldings up from floor to ceiling and have them all meet in the center for a nice visual effect. Just run BX behind one of them, and leave the others as dummies.

there's a lot of houses in mexico that i see with concrete ceilings. concrete is really cheap, whereas wood isn't.

Wiremold or drape a chain and feed wire through. Or no chandelier

I've seen something like this done a few times. Hollow "beams" are installed across a vaulted ceiling for a rustic look. The beams are actually just three-sided channels made of an expanded styrene (or similar) plastic. Hidden inside one of them is the cable.
Regards, Robert
=============================> Bass Home Electronics 2291 Pine View Circle Sarasota Florida 34231 877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support 941-925-9747 Fax 941-232-0791 Wireless Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1 http://www.bass-home.com =============================>

Good idea and certainly fairly easy.
Another way is to cut a channel in the concrete large enough to bury some MI (mineral insulated) cable then concrete back over it. A 14/2 MI cable is typically 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter.
This is a difficult job but when done correctly it is completely invisible.
Some type of wiremold is your only solution. There are several styles including one made of wood. You need it to protect the wiring as you don't want exposed wiring running on your walls where the insulation could be nicked and cause a problem.
S P wrote:

Here's the simplest way to do the cabling. http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer/products/metal_raceway/index.asp
Don't forget to anchor the chandelier well. You need at least two lags and shields to hold the unit up. Each lag should be strong enough to support the chandelier indefinitely by itself. Chandeliers tend to sway a bit so you ought to use a gimbal mount like a ceiling fan.
Regards, Robert
=============================> Bass Home Electronics 2291 Pine View Circle Sarasota Florida 34231 877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support 941-925-9747 Fax 941-232-0791 Wireless Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1 http://www.bass-home.com =============================>
How about a fake beam or two?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (S P) wrote in message

I live a little up the Hudson from you. In buildings like yours, this is usually handled with swag chains. In less formal rooms, track lighting or suspended ceilings work.
Suggest you speak to your building maintenance people since they can either do the work for you or refer you to an electrician.
Thanks. I live in a condo and I haven't had luck with the building maintenance people. Where can I buy the swag chains from?
S P

Look in Yellow Pages under "Lighting"..let your fingers do the walking

Or go to just about any hardware or department store that sells lighting....