Need help with Chandelier wiring

Hi,

I need to install a chandelier in my dining room. But there is no provision for wiring as it is concrete ceiling.

So, I need to run wires on the ceiling and to the walls and finally to the power box. I was wondering if there is some sort of decorative wiring or some fancy cable that doesn't look ugly on my ceiling and walls. I am not a big fan of wiremolds - I would like to avoid it if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, S P

Reply to
S P

What type of building do you live in? Why is the ceiling concrete? (I know it's not relevent, but I'm curious).

Perhaps you could do some trickery with mouldings. i.e. put several mouldings up from floor to ceiling and have them all meet in the center for a nice visual effect. Just run BX behind one of them, and leave the others as dummies.

--S

Reply to
Steve Smith

Reply to
BruceR

there's a lot of houses in mexico that i see with concrete ceilings. concrete is really cheap, whereas wood isn't.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Wiremold or drape a chain and feed wire through. Or no chandelier

Reply to
mark Ransley
Reply to
Robert L. Bass

How about a fake beam or two?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In a condo in Hoboken.

Can u please explain how I can do this?

Reply to
S P
Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Good idea and certainly fairly easy.

Another way is to cut a channel in the concrete large enough to bury some MI (mineral insulated) cable then concrete back over it. A 14/2 MI cable is typically 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter.

This is a difficult job but when done correctly it is completely invisible.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

I live a little up the Hudson from you. In buildings like yours, this is usually handled with swag chains. In less formal rooms, track lighting or suspended ceilings work.

Suggest you speak to your building maintenance people since they can either do the work for you or refer you to an electrician.

Reply to
Michael S. Trachtenberg

Thanks. I live in a condo and I haven't had luck with the building maintenance people. Where can I buy the swag chains from?

S P

Reply to
S P

Look in Yellow Pages under "Lighting"..let your fingers do the walking

Reply to
Rudy

Or go to just about any hardware or department store that sells lighting....

Reply to
BGBevill