Need help with blowing fuses in light or light switch

I used to have a fan/light that would blow a fuse evertime i messed with replacing bulbs or adjusting the light. So the switch was disconnect and the fan/light has not been used for over a year. I decided to replace the fan with a florecent light. so I took down the old light connected the white to white black to black and green to green. But when i went to reconnect the switch I am connfused as to which wires need to be reconnected. in the light box I have a white and green wire coming up into the switch and a red, black, and white coming in from the top. the two white wires are tied together. so that leaves me with a red black and green wire to connect to the switch. I measured the voltage accros the wires and black/red is 1.2v, black/ green is 70v, and green/red is 120v. I thought it should have been the green on one end of the switch and red on the other so there would be 120 accross the switch but this blew the fuse again. does this mean there is something wrong with the wiring some were else or maybe the switch or new light are broken, or did i just not connect everything correctly. Can somebody explain how this should normally look and any way I can trace out the proper wiring. Also this light is in the garage that was converted to a room. thanks for all the help in advance and if you need any more info please let me know.

Reply to
Kamachi923

I don't know how to translate this statement: "in the light box I have a white and green wire coming up into the switch and a red, black, and white coming in from the top. the two white wires are tied together" Is this in the U.S.?

Reply to
RBM

the old fan/light wires (white,black,green,red) were for switching fan/light independantly. the new light wires (white,black,green) cap and tape the red wire, it will not be used for single pole switch.

not to say that the "hot" red wire can't be used instead of the black but you will have to do the same in the light box.

I | measured the voltage accros the wires and black/red is 1.2v, black/ | green is 70v, and green/red is 120v. I thought it should have been | the green on one end of the switch and red on the other so there would | be 120 accross the switch but this blew the fuse again.

black and red wires should both be "hot" wires for switching fan or light independantly.

does this mean | there is something wrong with the wiring some were else or maybe the | switch or new light are broken, or did i just not connect everything | correctly.

not correct wiring

Can somebody explain how this should normally look and any | way I can trace out the proper wiring. Also this light is in the | garage that was converted to a room. thanks for all the help in | advance and if you need any more info please let me know.

this may help

3G