Need help with Bissell Pro-Heat Carpet cleaner.

My carpet cleaner wasn't working so we took it apart and found the pump was broken. After replacing it and making sure all the hoses were flowing properly we decided we were done. The problem is WE CAN'T CLOSE THE DAMN THING!!!
Somehow the top no longer fits and we don't want to force it. We've tried everything but for some reason we think we're doing something wrong. Where are the water hoses that are floating up on the top supposed to go?
Can anyone help?