Need help with an older "overhead door" garage opener

Hello group.. Have been helping my boss who is going thru a nasty divorce and trying to help her secure her home. Her ex took the filecabinet with all the paperwork and I can't figure out how her garage door opener works without the manual. It is an Overhead Door unit and it says "model 456" on the back. Her push button in the car has only one button, and I took it apart and it has an array of toggle switches which I guess is how you change the frequency. She said her ex has it programmed into his homelink so we need to change and clear everything. On the back of the motor unit there is an opening with three tiny black pushbuttons labelled "1-2-3" which my guess is to set the code for three openers? I went on the web and cannot find any on line support for this..I guess I can call the manufacturer but thought I might get lucky and someone here might have one of these and might know how to reset it.
Thanks a million...
John
The code for a door that old can be cracked anyway, and if the theory is that the husband is foolish enough to open the door with his remote, he's foolish enough to crack into it, there's some device you can get that will do that.
The safer thing is get a new GDO or unplug the GDO and operate the door manually. Barring that, the toggle switches on the remote probably correspond to toggle switches someplace on the GDO unit, see how they're set, write them down carefully, and try changing them in both places.

Hi there and thanks.. He isn't that sharp, if it doesn't work when he pushes the button, he wouldn't know what to do..Hell he can't even change a broken sprinkler head.. I pulled the cover off the end and looked inside at the circuit board and there isn't a corrosponding toggle board as is in the remote. That was my first thought when I saw what. What I figure it must do, is you code the remote by changing the switches, then put the opener in learn mode via those black switches and train it to the new code. I just need to get the correct procedure, specially to clear out the old codes...
Thanks, John
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:31:55 -0500, "John"

To follow up on what the other poster said, if she wants to be sure it's secure she should get a new receiver-transmitter. You should be able to find a generic one that you can connect to the button and that can't be cracked easily like the old ones. And be sure and disable the old receiver so the old transmitter will no longer open the door.

Sure would help everyone if you had only posted who the manufacturer was along with the model.
But,.... Unless the opener is ancient, or steam powered.
Most openers come out of the box "stupid" and won't respond to ANY remote until they are "taught"
If you can find the procedure to clear out/reset all the remote codes, you can start again and just "program" in your own.
No others "should" work.
Chances are the 1,2,3 buttons are to teach the opener to learn to recognize 3 different remotes.
The switches in the remotes themselves only get them to transmit the correct frequency your opener recognizes, as most makes need different ones/settings.
Just as your tv remote wont likely operate your different make tv in the next room.
AMUN
Amun wrote:

Overhead Door is the manufacturer of both commercial roll up doors and garage door openers. Although you will not find them in the Big Box store.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
John wrote:

Maybe try www.overheaddoor.com
They do list some manuals on line.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I went to the site and got a number and called them..Nice lady walked me thru the steps of how to override all the old presets and change her remote..Once her life has settled she is planning on selling the house so I don't think she would want to replace the door opener but thanks for the suggestions..I too would recommend one with rolling codes I think..At least we can keep her ex out! :-)
John