Need help - Repairing Electric lawn Mower

Greetings! I have a Black and Decker electric lawn Mower. I have problem with the handle - which you have to grip to start the lawn mower. Now I have to grip really very hard to start and mow the lawn. Does any one had this problem? How did you solve it? This mower is about 4 years old. With thanks.

Reply to
arouth

Sounds like the switch needs replacing OR (I know someone will give me heck about this) just jumper the switch so you won't need it. It's a safety feature.

Joey

If you're having to grip (squeeze) the handle very hard perhaps it is just a "mechanical" adjustment that is needed.

Griping the handle activates the switch, take a look at how it works & see if you can tweek the handle or the switch. maybe the nub on the switch is worn.

Not a great idea to defeat the switch (but I've done that sort of thing), it's a safety feature.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Never use one of these but it is obvious that whatever you grip to make it go actuates a switch. If it is a bar that moves trace the mechanical part to the switch. Many such use a cable and there is usually an adjustment to take up the slack as the cable stretches. It is also possible that vibration has loosened the switch which needs to be tightened or moved slightly. Good luck. Otherwise, wrap the handle you have to squeeze with a length of rubber (strap or tubing) which you can quickly release. That will relieve you of the need to constantly hold the squeeze part tightly.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon