Need Help in Stabilizing/Maintaining River Rock Parking Area

We inherited a parking area that is made of large river rocks. I got the bright idea of using a pressure washer to blast out the weeds and grubby hard soil that was entrenched between the rocks.

I had been told by a friend that there was a type of 'sand/gravel' that could be used between the rocks that would 'solidify' when dampened and block any new weeds from coming through. Unfortunately, I later found out that this type of sand is only for a paver type of crack. The areas between these rocks are up to two inches.

My next thought was to use some kind of coarse sand to fill the cracks. In my absence, hubby ordered river sand and spread it. Now we have a problem in that we took out a bit too much with the power washer and destabilized some of the rocks. The river sand does nothing to solve this problem. I want to stabilize the area with something that is easy to care for. There are a lot of leaves than come down in this area and I would like to be able to use a leaf blower. This, of course, would blow away the river sand.

Any thoughts on how I can stabilize the rocks while still showing off their inherent beauty and yet still be able to use a leaf blower on? The only thing I can think of was my original thought of a coarser sand than what was put down, but I think I might still have a problem with the leaf blower. What I need is sand glue...lol

Any help much appreciated...

Reply to
Willi

I used type B2 slag in a river rock bed to make it walkable and somewhat cleanable with a leaf blower. Two years and it has worked well. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is some of the river rock has managed to emerge from the surface. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

It doesn't block weeds unless it's 4" thick or more, but I think what you are referring to is "crusher fines".

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I'm not sure what B2 slag is. Do you happen to have a link so that I can see what it looks like? What type of business would one purchase this from? I'm in central BC, Canada so I need a push as to what type of companies to approach..

Thanks so much!

Reply to
Willi

Thanks...do I get this at a concrete aggregates type of place?

Reply to
Willi

3/4" road bed is useful; it's a coarse sharp sand with small coarse rock in it used underneath roads. It packs very well and is pretty stable. You might also try decomposed granite (also called stone dust). It is small flakes of sharp rock which packs very hard, especially after getting wet.
Reply to
Andrew Duane

B2 is a grade of crushed stone. It is coarser than pea gravel. The chunks are somewhere around 3/4" to (maybe) 1 1/4". __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

In any area where there is a limestone quarry, fine crushed and unwashed limestone can be had, which in our midwest area is referred to as 'road pack'. After spreading it settles into a super firm layer almost like concrete. Larger aggregate mixed with it then remains fixed in place, making dandy driveways that rarely need much maintenance. I have 500 feet of driveway around a commercial building made this way which still looks great after 4 years. The limestone people also supply what they call 'white rock' for driveways which is an attractive alternative to plain gravel, concrete or asphalt. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

How about a few loads of smaller river rock? Freshen up what you have.

-- Oren

Oren