Need help fixing a Moen kitchen faucet

I have a Moen single-handle kitchen faucet installed in a corian sink. 7200 model series. It is no long secured properly and wobbles around.

The installation instructions are simple enough... "Center deck gasket and faucet on sink. Tighten mounting nuts from below deck."

I expect my mounting nut needs to be tightened and maybe the deck gasket needs to be replaced. The problem is access; I can just barely touch the nut, there is no way I could get a wrench on it to tighten it. (yes, it is loose) Presumably there is a special tool for this, but what? Is it cheaper to hire a plumber than to buy the special tool?

Reply to
toller

Toller wrote:> have a Moen single-handle kitchen faucet installed in a corian sink. 7200

You need a "basin wrench". Ace hardware will have one. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Ther is a special wrench for reaching and doing whatever with the nuts under the sink. Called a basin wrench--has a long handle with a claw type end that can handle any size nut and turn in either direction. Very inexpensive and can be had at any hardware store, Home Depot/ Lowes. Definitly a job you can handle on your own. MLD

Reply to
MLD

"toller" wrote

I've only put in two kitchen faucets, but ... both of them came with a special wrench. Basically a long cylinder, with the apporopriately sized hex fitting on one end, that you use to tighten the nut from far below. Go ask at HD - they may well have extras or an open box or returned faucet, from which you might borrow that wrench.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

Do you happen to have that wrench to measure it? Apparently Moen has changed their design so I couldn't find anything at HD to try, but they had a few sizes of wrenches like you describe for about $6 each, so if I knew what size I needed... Thanks

I had already tried a basin wrench before posting my question; the nut is too big and too thin, and the access space is too cramped.

Reply to
toller

"toller" wrote

Sorry, I looked, but mine is AWOL. Now I'm hoping I didn't toss it with the bathwater! Good luck ...

JSH

Reply to
Julie

I spent 2 hours trying to get a basin wrench on the nut, but it is two wide, too short, and too obstructed.

Moen finally got back to me by sending me a PDF of the faucet.

I emailed them again and said I don't need a diagram, I need information on the wrench required!

They called and said they will mail me a free wrench (after first telling me the 7200 didn't need one.)

Alls well that ends well.

Reply to
toller

How much is your time worth? I get $60/hour for consulting work...even at

1/3 that you could have driven to the store and gotten a wrench to do the job and had at least fifteen minutes to clean up and still had change in your pocket.
Reply to
Rich

They are called "basin wrenches" and for the price of a plumber you probably can buy about a dozen of them (depending on where you shop)

Reply to
avoidspam