Need help finding replacement combustion motor for Payne furnace

Hi there! Hopefully you can point me in the right direction for finding this part.

My parents have a Payne furnace that is a few years old. The combustion motor has recently started to fail, as I am told by a friend of mine who originally installed it. He called about the part from his supplier, and found that it would be $130 or so to get the part from him with all of the combustion motor assembly and related parts.

The guy on the phone told him that he could probably find the part online a lot cheaper, *AND* we don't need the whole kit...we only need just the little motor itself. My friend is going to salvage all of the other parts of the mechanism off the current, failing motor and we can use them with the new one.

So, here's the info on the furnace and motor label I currently have:

furnace: Payne, model #768MAA024045AAJA, serial #3303A27185

combustion motor: Jakel J238-100-10108 3000RPM counter-clockwise rotation 81F1A 8.1MHP

I just want the actual motor, no kit, no extra shrouds or widgets or fins or whatnot.

Any leads? Any ideas? Anyone got one of these little bad-boys that they'd like to part with? :) Thanks in advance for your assistance! I really do appreciate it.

Reply to
lgerhardx

Don't count on it. It was impossible to remove the blower wheel from the Jakel on my Tempstar. The problem with the furnace was the combustion motor/fan was noisy. Ends up it wasn't the motor, the squirrel cage fan was loose in the hub. I brazed it up and stuck it back on 3 years ago.

The Jakel unit is not a servicable part - no parts available. Other manufacturers make replacement units at about half the cost of the Jaykel Fasco is one alternate supplier.

What is wrong with the current motor??

Reply to
clare

I don't know what's wrong...my friend is a contractor and enlisted me to scour the Internet to find a replacement. From my understanding of what he told me, my parents' furnace has not been starting these last few days. He indicated that he spun the wheel clockwise and then tried it and it started spinning as it should...he said he heard some sound like something rattling in the vent pipe and then it went out. So, perhaps something got in the vent last summer and left a present that gummed up the fan?

I found something from Jakel on eBay that looks similar enough to my contractor friend that he wants me to get it. So, I guess that is my next step, but in the mean time perhaps I can locate the correct replacement part.

How will I figure out what Fasco part would be the replacement? Can I tell just by the 3000 RPM / CCW part, or is there a cross-reference or some other details needed? I imagine size is quite important as well.

Thanks!

Reply to
lgerhardx

Hmmm, Brazed it? What if you need to replace motor? Aren't you sticuk then?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Are you talking about inducer motor? What is trouble code? The code will give a clue. Payne is made by Carrier. I think Carrier parts will fit into Payne furnace.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Contact fasco. Or a Fasco dealer. They will crossreference to the furnace model or to the Jaykel number. You WILL have to buy the complete unit, in all likelihood.

Reply to
clare

No more stuck than before, because the motor is NOT AVAILABLE SEPARATELY and the fan would NOT COME OFF THE MOTOR. ANyway, I didn't braze the hub to the shaft, I brazed the sguirrel cage to the hub - so IF the fan could be removed from the motor, it would still be removeable. I had the little beggar red hot and it would not come off (set screw was removed) so I decided to fix the problem and get on with life. There was rust dust coming out of the seam between the hub and the squrrel cage, indicating it was loose and fretting, so brazing it made sense.

No more noise for the last 3 years.

Reply to
clare

Have you checked to see if you can remove the fan? I just installed one and the old fan was rusted to the motor shaft. I think that's why they sell them as a unit.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

BTW: That is the same blower I had trouble with.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

Thanks for the tip. I've emailed a Fasco dealer to see if they can xref the part.

Reply to
lgerhardx

I don't know... :( I'm just following orders to hunt down the part.

Thanks, everyone, for the all the ideas and such a speedy response!!

Reply to
lgerhardx

I don't think you can beat the price! They told me at the local Granger they didn't carry Fasco. People around here are like that. They would just as soon tell you they don't carry a part so they don't have to get it off the shelf.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

There are about a hundred differenf inductor fans - and they are NOT interchangeable (at least not easily/officially)

Need to get the right one - expect to pay about $185 for a Fasco ( the A177 for my furnace lists at that price)

See

Bottom of the page is a Payne unit - not your numbers though.

Reply to
clare

Of course...that just happens to be the one I need.

It is a Fasco. I was quoted $218 from a local dealer.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

take it into your local johnstone supply or grainger.

-b

Reply to
buffalobill