Need help concerning bathtub

I'm thinking to have some work done in the downstairs bathroom. I may replace the bath with a shower area (not simply with a ready-made shower enclosure) or I may have installed a walk-in bathtub. I checked with local plumbing companies and no one seems to have any experience with them. One fellow told me he has seen one but hasn't installed any. At any rate, the manufacturers generally claim their product is easily installed by any licenced plumber.
I'm wondering what experiences people may have had with them, in particular, on the installation side. One other concern that I have is the leg room that they offer. Ideally, I'd like to actually sit down in the model that I wanted to buy before going and buying it but no one in town has any in their showroom so this may prove to be difficult. I'm fairly tall and knee-room is often a concern.
Thanks
DDW
Dont use wrote:

May have to travel to a larger town for a showroom and to find qualified installers. It sounds like money is not the big issue on this project so do whatever planning it takes.