Need help choosing a pressure washer

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting my father a pressure washer for Christmas, but I'm just not sure what model to buy. I have my eye on the Campbell Hausfeld 1500 PSI Electric Pressure Washer, but I know that electric washers aren't nearly as "good" as gas-powered ones (which I hear can take your finger off if you were to stick it under the spray).

My father isn't a home improvement guy by any stretch of the imagination, but he does like to occasionally wash the deck, driveway, patio furniture, and car during the summer.

Do you think the Campbell Hausfeld model would be a good choice for him? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Here are the specs:

-- 1500 psi, 1.7 gallons per minute

-- Rotating power nozzle boosts effective pressure to 1750 psi

-- Adjustable pressure nozzle allows for adjustment from 100 to 1500 psi for all types of cleaning surfaces

-- Instant start-stop system only runs the motor when the trigger is pulled for quieter operation and longer life

-- 25-foot, high-pressure hose with spray gun

-- 35-foot, GFCI-equipped electrical cord for increased reach and added safety

-- 2 interchangeable integrated 8-ounce soap bottles increase cleaning ability and convenience

-- Built-in storage for spray gun, lance and rotary nozzle

-- 1-year limited warranty

-- Model PW1580 Thanks for the insight!

Reply to
blinky

On 12/7/2004 10:53 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@northco.net took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I have the Husky 1750 electric power washer bought at HD (now at $135.20 US). It does all that.

Reply to
willshak

On 12/7/2004 11:09 PM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Sorry. Price is valid only through 12/9/04

willshak

If he wants to run bleach thru it he needs a brass pump and a downstream injector so that the bleach doesn't ruin the pump. I would want one that has those features.

Reply to
Art

Electrics are good but are slower because you are limited to 15a of power. Karcher has been around the longest and has had a good reputation. Electric are lighter, no gas to go bad no starting problems no oil to change, no pulling out your arm. For minimal work they are fine, I have one.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have an electric. It is lower power than most of the gas models. What I have found is that for about half the jobs there is no meaningful difference in speed or outcome. For the next 40% of my jobs it works slower, but does the same job. For the rest it does not work as well.

For me, the convenience of electric vs gas makes it an easy decision. I will buy electric again if I need a new one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If he has a medium size driveway, an electric will take forever to clean it.

Reply to
Art

I checked out HD's site and found the price is valid til 2/09/05.

Reply to
carolcohen

On 12/9/2004 10:05 AM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@raines.com took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I was in HD yesterday and saw them. They were still tagged at $169.00. Anyone thinking of buying one during this period should bring a copy of the HD web page ad.

Reply to
willshak

It's on sale at HD when you buy online. However, shipping is about $13, so you aren't really saving THAT much.

Okay, I've narrowed my choices down to the following models:

1) Karcher 1600 psi

2) Simoniz 1750 psi

3) Campbell Hausfeld 1580 psi

Is one brand better than the other?

Reply to
blinky

Simonise is not made be simonise, probably by Howchunfat China

Reply to
m Ransley