need help building a 15 foot drywall duct chase

I'm working on a bathroom exhaust fan project requiring a run of 16' duct to an outside wall. I tackled a drywall project before, but am unfamiliar with the contruction of a dywall chase. Has anyone had any experience in the construction of such a project. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated! Vic
vic wrote:

Easiest thing is to make it out of steel stud and track. Visit the USG web site and do a search for chase framing or soffit framing. That'll tell you all you need to know.
keep in mind you will likely be exhausting steam from showers... perhaps a more impervious material would be more favorable.
vic wrote:

I must be missing something here. Why not use standard metal duct work? Quick, easy and probably just as cheap.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

The chase is to enclose the ductwork. Cosmetics.
RicodJour wrote:

Ahah! I should never overlook the obvious
Harry K
There is a framing material called utility angle. You can get 1 1/2 or 2 " legs, 25 gauge or heavier. I don't know about the box stores, but any commercial drywall supply house will have this stuff. This material will allow you to encase the duct work with no studs, drywall only. Fasten an angle along the top, hang the vertical rock, install an angle along the bottom of the rock, repeat on side 2, cap bottom, corner bead the edges, done.
______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

thats a really long ductwork run, isnt there a shorter way? With such a long run little air will move, unless you use a big blower which will add noise....
just something to think about, before you close it all in turn fan on once, and shower. see if it really helps the situation.
plus moisture will condense on its way outside and may lead to rusting of the duct, you might be better off with the plastic or rust proof type...