need good way to store files

I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty files to large ones about 14 inches.
Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.
Has anyone found a good way to store files?
Appreciate any tips. Thanks, Bob-tx

Find old 2x4 drill 15 holes in it sized to fit the tangs and then just stick them in the holes.
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

That works great for small files, but the big ones tend to tip the whole thing over unless you screw it down somewhere. For those, a couple lengths of 2x2 with 45-degree kerfs cut in them, screwed to the wall, work well. Like a giant version of a kitchen knife rack. And this lets you leave the handles on the ones you use most, and pick the right one at a glance. -- aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

The old shop has a couple of fill-in tubafor's between the wall studs over the bench w/ holes in the top edge for file tangs.
There was another (well it's still there, but Dad let somebody get away w/ the old wall mount handwheel cranked drill press and bits so there's nothing in it :( ) w/ sized holes and a front peep hole for the bit collection and yet another for miscellaneous such as the pencil, marking chalk, awl, etc., etc., ...
I am not there to see your work area. But someone suggested a two by four with holes, slip the tangs into the holes. How about think that a bit larger. Take two or three two by four, and put them together, making a 6 x 4. Use your drill press to drill through two layers. Use speed bores of whatever size works. Put the files in, business end down (handles up).
Got to be some way to store those. Of course, you could wrap them individually in grease rags (mechanic shop rag) but that takes time.
What would be nice, is a big long magnet, you could put the magnet up high, and stick all the files to the magnet. Just pull one down as you need to use it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Magnetize a file, sharpen the mower blade, so how do I get metal shavings off the file besides more work?
I don't believe magnets are the _best_ choice.
On 9/14/2008 7:42 AM Bob spake thus:

One clever solution I've seen is to get a couple of large-ish springs, stretch them out a little, and put the springs crossways in the drawer or box where you store the files. The files fit into the loops of the springs, which keep them from hitting each other.

Something like this wrench holder. Wrench organizers lay flat if you have the space. Can be made of wood and/or mounted on a wall.
(pic) http://www.ernstmfg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath $_16
need good way to store files:

All my files have a pointy handle on the end. I took two 1' pieces of 2x8 left over from a project, sandwiched them together and drilled 1/4" holes in it. I put the pointy end of the files into the holes so they stand vertically.

A couple of coil springs in the tool drawer keep en seperated just fine, soe does foam rubber egg crating.
beecrofter wrote: ...

Not so picky meself so kept the 60+ yr-old traditional storage place--in an upside-down piston from the old Twin City 20-35.