Need gas water heater advise.

I want to replace my gas water heater before it starts to give me problems in my finished basment. I have the skills to do this job by myself but I'm thinking it may be a job better left to the pro's just to make sure everything is up to code and for warenty and insurance issuses in case they arise. Am I wrong for thinking this way? Can you guys point me in the right direction as to what model heaters I should be looking at? Are the heaters at Home Depot good quality or should I go to a smaller supply company or just deal with a plumber. Thanks.
Can't speak to the brand question - I got mine at Payless Cashways years ago because I was the full-time plumbing salesperson there - but I can tell you that it's not a terrifically hard job. In my case it was just three connections (four, if you count the tpr drain): gas, hot, cold. Took me a few hours and it's worked like a champ ever since. Hardest part was getting rid of the old heater!
--
William Morris
Semster, Seamlyne reProductions

Christopher A. Young