Need Expert Answer on AC question

TIA in advance!

I got married and moved into my wife's older home...(good neighborhood)

I have two questions:

  1. We set the thermostat at 78 and I think that if we run the fan all the time vs. auto, it will keep the cycle down on the AC unit and help feel cooler vs. have the AC cycle on and off? Does that make sense?

  1. There is a sun room that has AC outlets in it, with a ceiling return.. I can shut off the AC out but not the return..So I think that it is better to leave it open and keep the temp down so the air return is cooler vs. closing them...Does this make sense?

Bottom line is I am trying to save money in the summer heat of North Texas.. The house is a 1965 build with floor and ceiling registers..all returns are at the ceiling. My wife only lived there a few months before we got married so she has no experience with the AC in the house.

Reply to
Oak Tree Brewer

This is Turtle.

Reply below

It makes sence if you think it does. this thought has been run over the coals a hundred times and can out a personal opinion when it was over. You should get your answer from you running your personal test on it as to you think it is a good senciable ideal , for it is very debatiable here as to the answer.

Yes and this also run close to a personal choice here.

You and the house should start sitting down together and have a cup of coffee together and get use to what it will product for you. A new wife and a new house are pretty close and you need to get to know both better to know how to get the most out of both. You might post back here on questions that arrive as you learn the ways of your home, we are not good at advising on wifes and problem that arrive.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Do whatever your wife says.

neighborhood)

returns are

Reply to
Art Begun

Setting TH to run fan continuously may actually cause the A/C to cycle more often if it increases the air movement through the TH location The most important consideration is the proper sizing of the unit and the proper air delivery of the indoor (fan) blower. Adequate room air circulation is important to a wider comfort zone, but I prefer to use efficient low wattage floor fans, etc.

What you can get away with here depends on the relationship of your blower and the entire duct system. If you have sufficient return areas elsewhere you could cover the ceiling return and also damper off the supply ducts to the sun room.

The blower will have to have the capacity and horse power at a higher static pressure to delivery the prescribed airflow for the BTUH capacity of the refrigerant system. If the installing contractor knows his stuff, it might pay to have some retrofit ducting done, so that cutting off the sun room won't have a negative effect on the A/C unit, along with keeping its efficiency optimized.

If you want to optimize the A/C system efficiency, do some reading, reflective thinking, and then do what's necessary --it could make a big difference. Darrell

Reply to
D-