Need Elec. Advice

I am going to have a 200amp. heavy up done , but later plan to add to Garage/worshop area. What type of wire is suitable for use of air compressor rated @ 20amp. also would like to add overhead flurosent light, run power saws grinder etc. Should I have dedicated circuits, please advise best route to go. Thanks Woody2
Woody2 wrote:

For a workshop area, I would plan on having several spare 20A breakers available for installation of outlets etc. the more circuits the better just in case you end up having a helper working in there with you and you end up using two or more appliances simultaneously.
I'd keep the lighting separate from the receps. because eventually you will trip a breaker no matter how well you plan, and it sucks finding the door in the dark.
good luck
nate
Thanks Nate, do you have any recomendations as to wire size,and or breaker amps. The main panel is about 100ft. from shop area. Woody2
N8N wrote:

Run a heavy cable to the workshop and install a sub-panel in the workshop to feed each circuit that you require.

If the compressor draws 20 amps, you will need a 30 amp cable to feed it. That would be 10gauge wire. From what you describe of your shop, you would do well to run a 6/3 feed from the main and install something like an 8 circuit sub panel in the shop, then run the machine outlets and lights from the sub

RBM (remove this) wrote:

suggesting a fairly heavy motor (5 HP) etc. Or at 115 volts that's 2300 watts possibly a 3 or 3 HP motor? In either case the starting current surge could be considerable! and voltage drop over 100 feet (one way????) so that could be 200 feet of current carrying conductors. Along with compressor will be other devices; lights etc. Possibly as much current draw as a whole house?