Need brainstorming help: front door skylight

Have the original 1970's fromt door entryway, has 2 skylight either sideof door. Upper half of each skylight side has ugly raised diamond patterned glass. Really wanted new front door but could not afford. Revamped and painted the door and looks tins better, except these skylights. Was also able to replace door stops and weatherseal to point that we no longer need storm door.

My dream is to find or craft some sort of replacement for the skylights that would have a glass with screen compbo. We really liked the strom doors screen door capability to let air in, thats now gone. Could probably easily repalce the skylight glass byistelf, but wondering if there are any specialty companies that make a skylight glass/screen combo thingamabob?

Todd

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

I had a French door set up with operable side lights in my last home. Can be built but your going to have to study up on the installation and how the structure is done. Just removing the side lights and installing a new side light mini door that you made could be a recipe for disaster. Try an find out if the door manufacture is in business. Get their catalog and see if there is not something already made. May you have better luck than I did with the French door company. I wanted to remove one side light to install a doggie door. So I needed a new side door to cut up and deal with. The manufacture told me that if I wanted a new side light buy a new door, $800.00. I quote " We are not in the business to sell parts, just complete doors!" I bought a solid core door cut it up on the table saw. Then painted it. It was functional.

The more holes you install into the door the more places there are for air leaks.

Reply to
SQLit