need an odd pipe plug

Hi all,
I'm actually trying to mount an old aftermarket A/C setup to my '55 Studebaker, but i thought I'd ask here if anyone could shine some light on a problem that I have. I need to block off a hose fitting for a heater hose on my water manifold, but I can't use a regular pipe plug because the A/C bracket is actually maybe 1/8" off the surface of the water manifold in the area of the boss for the heater hose fitting. Apparently one was supposed to use one with a hex recess, like a transmission drain plug. Are these commonly used for any other applications (e.g. could I find them at any particular kind of store - the Orange Box doesn't seem to sell anything but the regular square head type) or should I suck it up and order from McMaster-Carr?
Also, McM-C lists them in Type 304 and also Type 316 stainless. Which would be better? I would prefer brass if at all possible to prevent seizing but that doesn't appear to be an option. I think the ones that Studebaker used on cars without a heater were either iron or steel, but I don't have a stash of old water manifolds to steal those from.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Large steel setscrew ground to length?
Nate,
What sort of thread is the hole, tapered? I'd head to a plumbing supply shop and see if they have bolts with recessed hexes. I'd use a lot of thread cement or plumbing goop to inhibit seizing. I'd favor using a regular automotive steel like #5
Dave M.
David L. Martel wrote:

it's a NPT or "pipe thread" hole. so I really need a pipe plug. Not sure how to home fabricate anything that would work for this app, or at least work and be able to be removed later if for whatever reason I wanted to.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Np0+4294924496+4294839052+4294923391+115+4294888860
If that link doesn't work, just follow the shop -> departments -> plumbing ->plugs.
Chrome steel, black steel, anodized aluminum, stainless steel, prices vary by size, material and brand.

In your case, the cheap one. Unless you have medical applications or special chemicals, any type of SS is OK for automotive.

Still common on modern auto engines for oil and coolant passages. NAPA stores may carry them.