Need an all purpose drill

I need to hang a pot rack on my wall which is concrete. I have a 5/16" drill for such a purpose and the dollys to go with it. What I don't know is which drill to buy so it will: 1) do this job, and 2) be a useful tool for around the house.

Thanks in advance!

-joe ___________________________________

my faith:

joe

Dollys? You mean molly bolts? Whatever.

I've had a $59 Craftsman AC powered drill for 10 years, and it's been through hell. Works like a charm.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you mean plaster (rather than concrete), then any 3/8" drill will work fine.

If you do have solid concrete walls, a 1/2" hammer drill and tapcon screws is what you want. Make sure the hammer drill is VSR and has a drill only mode. Something like:

Mike Paulsen

Yes, sorry, Dollys.

I was just at Sears and their website - u know they make many drills which are AC and sell for around $59. The problem is that they all look alike to me. I.e. their features are only different by a few numbers. E.g.

1) drill speeds: 0-600 or 0-1200? 2) 5 Amps or 8 Amps? 3) cord or cordless (cordless = less power to the bit... or is that not true?)

Thanks in advance!

-joe ___________________________________ my faith:

joe

on 10/8/2007 5:11 PM joe said the following:

Uh, Oh..

Reply to
willshak

Mine is 0-2500 RPM, 3/8 inch, 4.0 amp. Maybe I was wrong about the price- this goes back a long time. Anyway, I've used it to drill holes in cinder block, the frame of my truck, etc, and it never seems to struggle. Of course, for the toughest jobs, I only use the right bits, and ones that are in good condition.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That drill looks like I can use it for mining! It's 5# and 16" long - more like a mini-jackhammer. But thanks for the specific recommendation and the advice about tapcons. The dollys I bought are 10-14's with a lead anchor that is 1-1/2" long. Now I don't know which one to use.

Thanks for your help,

-joe ___________________________________ my faith:

joe

+++++++++

MOLLYS not DOLLYS!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do you want to help or just take up bandwidth?

Thanks in advance!

-joe ___________________________________

my faith:

joe

It seems your saying that any 3/8" drill in this range will work, yes?

-joe ___________________________________

my faith:

joe

"Any" might be a stretch if you were going to drill 48 such holes to hang shelves on cinder block in your basement. But, for the occasional such project, it'll be fine.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Go to your local rental place and rent a rotary hammer if you really have concrete walls. If you mean cement block, then you better put the mollies in the joint, not the block. The size drill needed should be stated on the anchors.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

on 10/8/2007 7:15 PM joe said the following:

No, junior. If you check all my posts, you will find that I offer help

99.9% of the time. The 1% when I did ask for help, only a few answered my question. The rest told me that I shouldn't use the tool that I was asking about. You got a problem with that, junior?

Reply to
willshak

cool, thx dude

-joe ___________________________________ my faith:

joe

One word: anger/aggression management.

-joe ___________________________________ my faith:

joe

It's hard to tell since all I have to go on is what the management told me. But the drill is not recommended - the drill bit was - 5/16" which I bought from a local hardware store.

Thanks,

-joe ___________________________________ my faith:

joe

like a mini-jackhammer. But thanks for the specific recommendation and the advice about tapcons. The dollys I bought are 10-14's with a lead anchor that is

1-1/2" long. Now I don't know which one to use.

Length: 13-3/4 in, actually.

Yeah, it's a bit big. But if I could only have one drill, and lived in a house with concrete walls, that's what I'd get.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

or mollies.

Yes. A corded drill gets its power from a power plant that is 100 feet high and 200 feet square at the bottom. A cordless drill gets its power from something that is one inch by one inch by 3 inches. Or maybe 4 times that.

Reply to
mm

After all of the advice and figitting I finally called a handyman (since prfessionals only want to do big jobs - np). It turns out that the wall is not solid concrete as I thought the management was saying. They are actually hollow concrete walls. Made back in the 40's the contractor poured "mud" on a wodden frame and then covered that with a thin coat of plaster.

The handyman was very good and very informative. Now I know what a hammer drill is, that it comes with a "hammer" label as so as to operate as a plain drill or with a hammer (hammer/drill). Also, he used a DeWalt drill and I had no idea they were good tools.

The job was done using what I was going to use based on my past experience with these walls - he used butterfly (toggle/aligator) bolts - D'OH! The pot rack can now support the weight "of an elephant" (he said :). It took him 30 mins to do that, then since the hour wasn't up he also attached 2 towel racks to my chef's station and butcher block table. Total time was 45 mins, cost was $81.28 and tip... $40.

Thanks to all for your patience, kind help, and best of all education. ... If ever I have a son I would want him to grow up to be just like all of you... well, if you were all rolled up into a gooey clay ball... ?

Thanks again! :)

faith:

joe