Need advice on what to do to wallpaper...

Hi all, I have a full bathroom that has wallpaper on the walls. Have no clue how long this wallpaper has been up, but I know it isn't coming off. I've bought the scorer and gel and tried that. And try as I might, it just won't come off. A sharp blade won't do the trick either.
My cousin had a similar situation and she ended up putting something on the walls that isn't quite stucco, but looks like it. She can't remember now what it was that she used (but she remembered buying it from Home Depot, and that it wasn't at Lowe's), so I'm writing here to ask if anyone knows what I can use??? She recalls using a trowel to apply the stuff and that she did so straight on top of the wallpaper; having not primed the walls first, and she hasn't had a problem with it cracking or chipping. She also recalls it wasn't Venetian plaster. She said she put the stuff on straight from the container then did a color wash technique afterwards.
Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do with this bathroom? I wouldn't mind having textured walls in there, because it would add a great depth to the room and something 'different' for the house. This is a town house that is about 20 years old now, and I just spent around $10k having the house repaired from a broken pipe (http://www.krjones.com/pics/house /). My ideal solution would have been to have had the contractors re-drywall that bathroom when they were in here repairing the other damage. Sadly, my budget ran out (and my patience) and now I've got to do this myself.
Thanks!!! Kathryn
p.s. I've asked people at Home Depot and Lowe's, but I'm getting so many different opinions ... I thought, well, gee why not post on a newsgroup and get even more opinions?? :-)
TV Girlie <-- Oh boy do I need advice on this. ====================http://www.krjones.com /
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:15:52 GMT, "TV Girlie"

I'd think twice about textured walls in a bathroom...too hard to clean. Too many nooks and crannies for mildew to grow.
Have you tried a wall paper steamer? The old fashioned steam tank on wheels tied to a hand held steam head? If you've already scored the paper, it's worth a trip to the rental shop. It's hot, hot, wet and messy work, but in a small room it should go fairly quickly. Just go slow and let the steam do the work.
HTH,
Paul
<snip>

Thanks for your advice.
What if I try a steamer and it doesn't work? And what do I do with the wall where it's been scored. There's already holes there. Seems like I'd have to re-drywall or something.
I see your point about mildew. But I'm not as worried about that. Especially since this bathroom isn't used to shower in. (I know that's not the right opinion for future buyers, etc.... but....)
Thanks!!!!
TV Girlie <-- ====================http://www.krjones.com /
x-no-archive: yes
The steamer will work, but it will be messy (water runs down the walls, gets on the floor, etc). Tip: Go very slow. Use a large steamer head attachment and hold it on the wall for 15-20 seconds in each spot. Get it good and soggy, then peel it off. Its slow and miserable work, but it is really the most effective thing. Been there, done that.
Dave
--

"TV Girlie" <gotta_watch_tv snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:zTm8d.52010$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

gets
Dave, Thanks for your advice. But since I'm new to this I still wonder: 1. Will I have to score the entire wall(s)? Does that help with steaming? 2. I can't just paint over the score holes, so what do I do about them? Surely the holes will still show up on the paint job?
Thanks for your help! Kathryn
Have you tried a wallpaper steamer?

TV Girlie wrote:

I'll lend you my son for a week or two. That'll get rid of that paper.
Peter H

Let me guess...he's about three?
JennP.

HA! That's cute!
btw, I tried that. I have a thing about picking and I've tried to pick the heck outta this stuff. Just not coming off. Just when I think it's going to come off......... nothing.
Sigh.
Good Luck

Hey, Thanks soooo much for your thoughtful response. I'll look into doing this. I really think this is the easier thing to do than doing more scoring, steaming, and doing the steps you listed above.
Thanks so much!
I'll let you know how it goes.
Kathryn
p.s. and THANKS to all the rest of you who responded. I needed help!