Need advice on problem with ice maker

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with an ice maker. Lately I've noticed that the ice cubes are hollow! It's really odd. We know a repair call is probably in order unless we can figure out if there's some minor problem with the mechanism. But we just can't figure what would cause the cubes to be hollow.
The only other problem is that the water dispenser is slower than it should be. Perhaps there is something clogging the water line.
Can a slow water line cause hollow ice cubes? Is there anything minor we can do ourselves before making a service call?
Thanks, Myrna
clogged water filter, or line obstruction like a kink, outside chance of a bad solenoid valve.
This makes sense. How do I find the water filter?
Myrna wrote:

I just had the same problem and it was the "water inlet valve" cost about $12.
Heres a pic http://groups.msn.com/Appliantology/icemakers.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID 7
Like the other poster said, IF you have a filter it needs to be the first thing checked, it should be on the back of the fridge connected to the water line.
Also check for a kinked water line, not likely unless the fridge has been moved.