Need advice on ice maker valve replacement

Page 1 of 2
The ice maker inlet valve on my 1979 Whirlpool fridge finally died. I can't explain why it failed so quickly.
Anyway, I ordered what's supposed to be the correct replacement valve, which is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381506821667
However, this one has a quick connect fitting for the water supply line, but the instructions are for an apparently earlier model with screw fittings. I have no experience with quick connect fittings, and don't quite knpw what to do.
My water line is your standard 1/4" poly tubing. Do I just stuff that into the QC opening, or do I have to transition to copper first? And if the poly is ok, do I need to insert one of those anti-collapse sleeves into the tubing first?
Thanks for any suggestions.
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:23:48 PM UTC-5, Peabody wrote:

Just stab it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBM4GIr8cN4

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:23:41 -0600, Peabody

I know two cases, an ice maker and a humidifier, where poly tubing sprang a leak by itself. Copper doesn't do that.

I also know one case where copper line came off the icemaker over the weekend and flooded the kitchen and hald the main room of the office. Soaked the wool carpet (glued down to concrete) in the office area and the engineered hardwood flooring. The hardwood was a total loss, and all the cabinets had to be removed to replace the flooring - over $30,000 total damage - all because the guy who installed the coffee maker compromized the connection to the icemaker.....
On 1/25/2016 10:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sounds like a a very expensive mistake. Hope the coffee guy was insured for that kind of thing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Not sure who's insurance ended up paying for it - it happened in an insurance office - - - - -
On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 12:27:42 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I wondered if they raised their own rates after paying themselves. Maybe even cancelled their own policy. That would be so fitting!
<stuff snipped>

More fitting is they denied they claim and THEN cancelled themselves!
More likely too given the exlusions I've see regarding flood damage.
(-:
--
Bobby G.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:45:43 -0500, "Robert Green"

Flood damage is interesting. Water over land is not covered without a specific rider that you can not get for any price in flood prone areas. Named perils doesn't cover any flood damage UNLESS it is specified. Also known as specified perils.
All perils covers floods - except for over land -no insurance covers "acts of war" and many don't cover "acts of God" unless specified (lightning, wind, earthquake etc)
<stuff snipped>

Interesting is not what I've heard it called when someone has a flood and the first thing the adjuster says is "this isn't covered." I am not sure the US flood insurance situation is the same as Canada's, though. I think we foolishly replace houses in flood plains far too often although that might be changing.
--
Bobby G.

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 11:03:34 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wrong again. Flood insurance is available in most areas that are flood prone, at least here in the USA.

I'd like to see the many homeowner's policies that don't cover wind, the house burning down due to lightning, etc. Earthquakes, yes. But I've yet to see a homeowner's policy that doesn't cover the house burning down from a lightning strike.
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 8:27:41 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

I wonder what my "Act of God coverage" actually is. I should look it up.
I've had damage caused by the *results* of wind (and other "Acts Of God") which the Ins Co covered but the damage wasn't the direct result of the "Act".
Heavy winds caused a large limb to come down on my house from a neighboring tree. The Ins Co covered the damage caused by the fallen limb.
An ice storm caused a large limb to come down on my house from a neighboring tree. That limb took out my electrical service and damaged some siding. The Ins Co covered the damage caused by the fallen limb.
A micro burst toppled a tree which totaled my van. The Ins Co covered the damage caused by fallen tree.
I wonder what would have happened if the wind had ripped off my siding or the ice storm caused my gutters to fall off or the micro-burst had flipped my van over. Each of those would have resulted in damage caused *directly* by the "Act Of God", not "indirect" damage from trees that were damaged by the Act.
I assume I would have been covered, but I honestly don't know.
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

During Sandy I had substantial roof damage due to high winds and then some water damage as a further consequence. Homeowners covered it all. They also covered a sliding screen door that got blown off and destroyed.
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 11:18:28 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Good to know. No problems caused by Jonas?
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:04:14 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Insurance BROKERAGE. Can't raise the rates. Can't cancel coverage, and doesn't control the coverage./ payment
On 1/25/2016 10:06 PM, Micky wrote:

Center posted, as your text was.
To the OP, a coule folks have had bad experiences with poly tubing. Please replace with copper.
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:35:39 -0500, Stormin Mormon

This is called "in-line posting". It's the easiest to understand because each comment follows the prior poster's words that one is commenting on.
It's the preferred method in Usenet and without a doubt within Usenet etiquette.
I've used it here for 20 years. Why the sudden complaining about it?

Otoh, if you want to complain, you don't have your sig preceded by the proper line so that the sig isn't quoted when one replies. Where you have one hyphen should be two hyphens and a space, "-- " without the quotes.

It's just Stormy - he'll bitch about something, so it may as well be inline posting as anything elae.
His crap doesn't stink either - -
A perfect example of "those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can do neither, criticize.
Did you hear about the man who thought he was dead? This guy firmly believed he was dead, even though he was a living, normally functioning human being. Well, his wife persuaded him to visit a psychiatrist, who tried in vain to convince him that he was in fact alive. Finally, the psychiatrist hit upon a plan. He showed the man medical reports and scientific evidence that dead men do not bleed. After thoroughly convincing the man that dead men do not bleed, the psychiatrist took out a pin and pricked the man's finger. When the man saw the drop of blood trickle down his finger, his eyes grew wide. "Ha!" he cried, "Dead men do bleed after all!"
--
Bobby G.

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 1:24:20 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

I've never been a fan of "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."
I'm a perfect example of one who can and also teaches.
Many people take great pleasure in teaching others to do the things that they themselves can do very well and then watching the others succeed.