Need advice on High Efficiency Heating/Air for metro Atlanta?

I'm looking to replace my heating and air units and I'm looking for advice.
I live in metro Atlanta and have a 2-story home on a slab, approx. 2400 sq feet. I have 2-zone heating and air, with the 2 furnaces in the attic. The house and units (Trane) are over 21 years old, and although they still works, I think it's time to upgrade to new efficient units.
I've been happy with the Trane units, so I'm leaning that way, but I'm willing to take other suggestions.
But my first question is how much should I anticipate having to pay for 2 heating and 2 cooling units to be installed? I'd like to get general range of what it would cost before I start getting estimates. I'm looking for bottom-line for 2-zone
Second, any recomendations on the SEER rating that I should get for metro Atlanta (East Cobb county)? I'd like to go with the highest practical efficiency.
Third, should I opt for any of those "air-cleaning" add-ons, or are they not effective?
Finally, any recommendations on a local HVAC contractor?
Thanks in advance!
Mark

You will save money on your utility bills...

Trane's good, but so are other brands. Look for the installer, not the brand.

How much is a car? How fast do you want it to go? Do you want it low slung and sporty or large and imposing? These are questions similar to what your HVAC pro will ask. (What heating efficiency do you want? What cooling efficiency? Etc...)

13 SEER is the minimum manufacturered now. You can get 16 SEER for a good price and go as high as 21 SEER. The higher efficiency will cost more money, but it will also save you money on your utility bills. IMO, the prices start getting crazy above 16 SEER.

Do you have allergies? Does anyone in your house? I install media air cleaners on everything now and offer UV lights. Your mileage may vary.

www.kudzu.com www.benspost.org
For what it's worth, I'm listed on both...
On 18 Apr 2006 07:45:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

yo Mark! are the yellow pages broken in your neck of the woods? your phone? your dialing finger? get the picture?
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Mark, it would be wise to get better informed before you take the big step! I would have a manual J Heat-Gain Heat-Loss done, and a thorough check of the entire duct system and airflow. Atlanta Georgia summer design conditions, 92-design dry bulb, 74-design wet bulb.
I would not limit myself to one Brand Name, I would shop around some and see how they compare, including their warranties. Even if they charge a small fee, find out if at least one contractor will check the ductwork and airflow prior to bidding the job. If they don't get the airflow right along with everything else the new system won't get its rated BTUH or the SEER Rating
The higher the SEER the more perfect everything has to be to achieve it, and it may not be achievable! Find out what the average annual hours of cooling are in the Atlanta area.
Do everything you can to reduce the Heat-Gain, Heat-Loss before doing the manual J!
If you become knowledgeable enough you will save considerable money on the equipment purchase, installation, and operating costs! If it is a quality installation in every aspect it should operate relatively trouble free with minimal downtime and repairs. http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditioner-capacity-seer.html - Darrell
--
Free Dish Network Satellite System TV Certificate you can use to promote your
business opportunities! The Certificate number is good anywhere in the United
On 18 Apr 2006 07:45:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Mark, Expect to pay about $50 per system for the 19 SEER units. Dont pay for those fancy air cleaners. They dont work. A good $0.59 fiberglass throw-a-way filter will clean your house just fine. Bubba
Why cant you put in one unit and zone it.

Because one system is located in the attic and the other is in the basement/crawl. At least that's the way they usually do it around here.
There may be no way to get the ductwork between floors.

I take that back......
I recently bought two complete Trane furnace / AC / heat pump systems from R.S. Andrews. It took numerous phone calls and 7 service call to get everything right. I had to teach one of the techs how to solder copper pipe. One of the gas lines they installed violated code.
I'm just saying...

Not that I think the Better Business Bureau means anything but you should take or should have taken a look at their track record on there. I know what it says but, read between the lines. First off, they are a member of the BBB. This means they pay the BBB which almost gaurantees you as a company a satisfactory rating with them. They have a satisfactory rating but also have had a lot of compliaints. You also have to factor in the amount of business they do compared to the amount of compaints. BUT, take a look at the outcomes. The BBB says the company made a good faith effort to resolve the problem but the consumer failed to respond. Basically this means the consumer was NOT happy but had no other recourse with the BBB so they chose to just ignore them. RS Andrews also has used several company names (one being Kansas City Power and Light), and many phone numbers. Sometimes, the biggest is not always the best. Why people pick a company that large to do their small hometown residence is beyone me. Bubba
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:44:46 -0400, "Craven Morehead"

I've used Peachtree Service Experts for many years in my homes in DeKalb, Gwinnett, and now Fulton counties. Their prices are not the lowest, but they stand by their work. I had a system they installed a few years ago that wasn't sized correctly. They came back and made it right without charging a penny more. -Jack
On 19 Apr 2006 11:52:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Service Experts!!??? hahaha. I wont even attempt this one except to say that they use extremely ...................."interesting" sales tactics. Bubba